The Athenaeum of Hollow Song

17 Jun 2014 23:50 - 18 Jun 2014 00:23 #1 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
The Athenaeum of Hollow Song was created by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
By now, I am sure all of you have heard the rumors of bards and mages disappearing in the night, tormented by a terrible song. Over the past several months, I and several of the bards and scholars of Travance have learned all we can of these dark bards, whom we once called Dischordians. Over the past three ages, they have gone to great length to go unnoticed, to leave no trace, to destroy all knowledge of themselves. They thrive in the darkness. It is my intention to drag them into the light.

The first records of the Athenaeum date to the Second Age, though this could be due to a lack of records from the First. They were all once members of the Lorestri, an ancient order of bards who's purpose was to safeguard knowledge and song. The Lorestri accomplish this purpose through their mastery over the orange strand of the Weave; simply put, they can walk through time. So, too, can the Athenaeum. Further, they can perform any spellsong which a bard is capable, and also the reverse. We know for certain that they can create prisons out of music, cause grievous harm to an individual, and inflict great pain. Their greatest weapon, however, is a song that first suppresses the magical effects upon all nearby, dealing damage dependent upon the number of these effects suppressed, then paralyzes all those affected. This is an extremely powerful effect; the strongest of Valence protections will stop it, but only for about 5 seconds, after which you must either call upon another, equally powerful defense or succumb to the song. We know for certain that you do not actually need to be able to hear this song to be affected by it; deafening yourself will not save you. More disturbing yet is the fact that their powers, especially their time-walking, destroys the Weave. In this new Age, with our new, resilient, inviolable Weave, there still exists a power that leaves tears that do not recover. After our last encounter with the Athenaeum, it took five sorcerers half an hour to repair the damage they did.

We have evidence suggesting that the Athenaeum have used their abilities to destroy as much knowledge about themselves as possible, including any records of their names and the names of the Lorestri. While the historical records shows many instances of lost knowledge or unexplained damage to the Weave, there's simply no way to know how much they have interfered with history. They have been equally successful in concealing much about their power, but we have managed to discern one very important facet.

Each member of the Athenaeum bears a brand upon his skin. It appears to be a broken treble clef, combined with runes of pain and suffering. Just below this is a few bars of music. Each Athenaeum bears a song specific to him, but each song is perverted with the same dark runes. This brand appears to be invested with dark energy, and it is the source of their power. Should any come into contact with them, do all in your power to find their brand and memorize the song. It could provide us a vital clue.

I have personally seen two members of the Athenaeum. One appeared to be a jester by the name of Julius. He is known to be skilled at disguise and an expert in torture. Another was a drow male. At my wedding, he was the one who sang the paralytic song. He was able to resist a mage's Counterspell, nor will damage interrupt his singing. His other skills are unknown. Another of the bards in town has come into contact with a female Athenaeum who could use her song to create a prison from which he could not escape. We know the Athenaeum to utilize minions, including gargoyles and true werewolves.

While I do not know what they hope to gain, we have learned that they seek the Temporis Scrolls, fey-made scrolls containing every song and story that ever has been and ever will be. Of the ten Temporis Scrolls, they have eight of them. They also need a carved wooden flute known as Wellora that is in the possession of Travance. Once they have these items, they can use them to destroy Song. Forever. If ever you have enjoyed a song, a poem, a story; if ever you have called upon the power of the Weave, whether for good or ill, light or dark; if you value joy, hope, love, or life, the Athenaeum of Hollow Song is your enemy.

Should any of you have any questions, please ask me. I will not publicly answer questions of strategy for fear the Athenaeum will read these words, but I will tell you anything I know of our foes.

-Alexandre Blythewood

OOG: Zach Theis
Last edit: 18 Jun 2014 00:23 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Annora (Karen), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
18 Jun 2014 00:07 #2 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
Replied by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
I request that a Baronial Officer copy this to the Baronial Notice Board so that even those who cannot read may be informed.

-Alexandre Blythewood

• Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
18 Jun 2014 00:28 #3 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
Tobar, while I know what a traditional treble clef, looks like, many may not. I also know there are many different styles of them. Would you be able to discribe or draw a treble clef that they have, or better yet an example of the brand on their arm so that we know what we are looking for?

Thank you,

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
18 Jun 2014 01:11 - 18 Jun 2014 01:11 #4 by Illyrin Soral (Gaeth)
Replied by Illyrin Soral (Gaeth) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
If what you write is true, then their very existence is a blasphemy and malady on all that Chronicler holds dear.

I may be very inexperienced compared to many in Travance, but if my blade can be of any help in eradicating this scourge that would dare destroy knowledge, you need but speak the word.

A student of the world,
Illyrin Soral

Brother Illyrin Soral
Seeker of the Veiled Truths
---

Archibald Blackmoore,
Monster Hunter Extraordinaire

OOG: Galen F, "The Frozen"
Last edit: 18 Jun 2014 01:11 by Illyrin Soral (Gaeth).
18 Jun 2014 01:30 #5 by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes)
Replied by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
Do they read this?
Do they know our strengths?
Do we truly know theirs?
How do they do what they do?
Can it be reproduced?
If so, can it be reversed?
Can they be contacted?
Drawn out?
Confronted?
Things to think about.

-S

"What do you take me for? Some kind of big damn hero?"
Sergei Petsho, Voivode and Steward of Inovar, Owner and Masseur Extraordinaire of Magic Hands Massage.

"What, it's for my research, I swear!"
Nigel Whitworth, Gentleman Apothecary

"Here, kid, suck on this and shut up for a while."
Aengus MacAengus Hesperus, Professional Old Person

OOG: Chris Zipeto
Storyteller
18 Jun 2014 01:59 #6 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
Replied by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
Caelvan,

The brand is not necessarily on their arm. We learned of this brand when our ally, Maja, gave us a strip of skin carved from the back of one of the Athanaeum that he killed. I do not know if it is always on their back, or if the location varies. I will attempt to draw the brand, but my artistic skill is not in that area, and it may take me several attempts.

Illyrin,

This is a sentiment that every other Chronicler I have spoken with has expressed to me. Your assistance would be welcomed.

S,

I am certain that they read this.
I am certain they know our strengths.
Everything strength of theirs I mentioned is something either I have observed myself or I have heard of through a very reputable source.
Their power comes from the brand upon their skin.
I imagine it could be reproduced, though any who do so has made themselves my enemy. Their power undoes the Weave. Even necromancers should call the Athanaeum their enemy.
We are currently looking into reversing it. I will say no more here, as I do not intend to discuss our strategy where interlopers may happen upon it.
I know of no way to contact them.
If they could be drawn out, I would not speak of how on this board.
I fully intend to confront them. At this stage, a confrontation is inevitable.

-Alexandre Blythewood

• Atrus
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 92
18 Jun 2014 06:43 #7 by Atrus (Atrus)
Replied by Atrus (Atrus) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
Why would a group of these strange bard creatures which use song as a weapon seek to destroy song? This is more than counter intuitive, wouldn't this be forever damaging and render their abilities useless? It's like the faithful who back when would try and destroy the world, it doesn't make any sense, and clearly the Gods don't want that, any of them. Are any sure that this is their true intention? I can't help but think that it is not... unless they are so vehemently destroying knowledge that they are destroying their own abilities to think and reason in the process. That however, would be an interesting bit of zealotry.

~Atrus
"Only those who have endured the greatest suffering can become the greatest people."

John
Marshal
18 Jun 2014 09:37 #8 by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay)
Replied by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
If what you say is true, and I've no doubt it is, the Lorestri publicly came out and opposed every single person in this town by killing one, gloating, and running off?
That sounds like a foolish and potentially suicidal move. Why would they try anything so mind-blowingly stupid?

Dame Clytie Silverfang, the Pegasus
Knight of Travance
Master of the Mage's Guild

OOG- May Leonard
Kitchen Staff
  • Lathiel
  • The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.
  • Thank Yous: 52
18 Jun 2014 10:27 #9 by Lathiel (Lathiel)
Replied by Lathiel (Lathiel) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
Clytie,
I witnessed the Dark Lorestri at the wedding and what you heard is true. Only a few people could try to resist the first wave of the power of their song, but would soon be overwhelmed and have to succumb to being paralyzed. They did what they did because they could. They wanted to make a show of their power. They wanted to show us that we can no longer have happy moments anymore. What they are trying to do is taunting us. They can do whatever they want and we can only watch. It's more like a psychological technique. It was an attempt to try to break everybody down mentally so that they would have the upper end. They knew that it would be painful for us to watch but not be able to intervene. Chances are they will try to do the same thing to the other Lorestri in the town. My guess is it makes their job easier or maybe it's just a part of their mission.
Whatever it is, we can't just give up hope. That is what the Dark Lorestri want us to do. Essentially every enemy that has faced us (except for the Hydra) has been vanquished or irreparably weakened. This is no time to lose hope. When we lose hope, that is when we fail. We will be victorious in our endeavors. We will overcome.

Lathiel 'The Scourge' Silverbow
Master of the Mages' Guild
Paladin of the White Fox

While others succumb, we overcome. ~ Silverbow Motto
OOG - Nick B.
18 Jun 2014 10:45 #10 by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay)
Replied by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
My mistake, I forgot to add the word 'dark' in front of the last little post. I was there as well, and I can tell you while I was scared then, I'm pretty angry now. I'm just confused as to why they'd try taunting the lion when they know damn well that the unbound creature before them could swallow them whole.
I'm not going to lie, I do feel a touch over confident about this. But as a town, in under 2 months, we have vanquished both Pesmerga and Xualla. Granted, this is not without a death count, but if I were leading a secret organization aiming to destroy things, Travance would be the last place I'd go to taunt people. The track record of this barony precedes it, and bringing the fight onto our home turf is madness at best.

Dame Clytie Silverfang, the Pegasus
Knight of Travance
Master of the Mage's Guild

OOG- May Leonard
Kitchen Staff
  • Tom P
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 124
18 Jun 2014 11:18 #11 by Tom P (Father Ridigan)
Replied by Tom P (Father Ridigan) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
If their power comes from the mark, and the mark includes runes of pain and suffering, perhaps they intend to destroy music so that they might end their own suffering. That to me would be the worst curse someone could ever put on a Lorestri. Eternal suffering, with the only way to end it being the destruction of all they once held dear.

Tom P

Father Ridigan

Robert "Dirge" Morgan
  • Chesta
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 134
18 Jun 2014 11:21 #12 by Chesta (Kevin)
Replied by Chesta (Kevin) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
Perhaps this enemy feels itself more powerful than the others? They have gone through time and faced us with a mocking tone in their eyes. Julios walked into the lions den and didn't even bat an eye when he cut off the tail and left. We are all angered by this and they want that, they want us angry so that they might actually have a challenge.

I say this to Dark Lorestri reading this, I will not kill you. I will not take your heads, but what I will take is your tongues. I will cut your tongues from your mouths so that you never sing again. You have made the worst mistake you could ever make. You got me involved, and you got me enraged. I try so hard to keep calm and play nice, but when something like this happens and my sword arm gets twitchy I just need to join the fray. pacifism be damned, I will find every Dark Lorestri and rip out your tongues by hand if needed. Let us see who has the darker shadow.

Chesta Hartwick MazoKisei
18 Jun 2014 11:53 #13 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
Atrus,

You have asked a question I cannot answer. Once I know what they have to gain in accomplishing their goal, I will make that knowledge public.

Ridigan,

I find it more likely that they wish to inflict suffering upon others rather than end their own. These are truly twisted people. Take, for instance, Julius's words to Calliope just before he murdered her: "I did not give you life, but I gave you something much better: a glorious death!"

Sir Silverbow,

I believe you to be correct on both counts. Despair and fear are there weapons. Hope must be our shield.

Clytie, Dominic,

Good. Get angry. It's time to end this.

-Alexandre Blythewood

• Tom P
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 124
18 Jun 2014 13:03 #14 by Tom P (Father Ridigan)
Replied by Tom P (Father Ridigan) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
Very true, they are quite twisted. Pain and suffering can do that. Especially when someone like a Lorestri is involved, whose powers would drag out a normal life into a potentially eternal one. Make no mistake. I am not sympathising with them, simply offering a possible reason as to why they are doing something that would cripple them in the end.

Tom P

Father Ridigan

Robert "Dirge" Morgan
  • Kuo Kun
  • Thank Yous: 34
18 Jun 2014 13:26 #15 by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun)
Replied by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
It's the start if a new Age. Now that so much else is gone or weakened, they may feel themselves ready to be the dominant force of it. "For Power" may be selfish, yet so common.

-Kuo Kun
18 Jun 2014 15:19 - 18 Jun 2014 15:22 #16 by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby)
Replied by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
So they can read what is written here? I'd hope so as I have a theory.

Like all who sacrifice everything for power, they were helpless, foolish, afraid, inept-- whimpering babes in their crib-- hoping to cling to any source of power, like a crying child clinging to its mothers skirt. They unwrite their history for they have little to be proud of. The prospect of a glorious death is more meaningful then the pitiable existence they have carried out. What is worse then death then a life that is worth not a single song? As a bard is this not the greatest shame one could face?

If one of you "Hollow Whatevers" are reading this-- and I am mistaken in my assessment of your crusade against catchy tunes and chuckle worthy tales-- please pick up a quill and correct me on your "rich history". Otherwise, hide away in your dark corners of Arawyn. Soon we will find you, and I'll personally cut those stylish little brands off and get some answers.

I was really looking forward to that wedding,

Magistrate of Travance
R. Tzaareth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Verrill Lebastion,
House Elder of House Bastion
Xeno-theologist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OOG: -Ben .H
Monster Marshal
Last edit: 18 Jun 2014 15:22 by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
  • Narcis
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "For every living person there are generations of dead. Which realm would you rather rule?"
  • Thank Yous: 450
18 Jun 2014 16:19 #17 by Narcis (ChrisR)
Replied by Narcis (ChrisR) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
Their dying cries shall make a fine tune.

-Ava

OOG:Chris R.
Storyteller / Marshal
18 Jun 2014 16:25 #18 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Re:The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
I feel the need to state something I have said before on other matters, despite knowing it will probably be poorly received as I can never express myself right in written words.

As we face off against this terrible foe, we should always keep our hearts, souls and minds focused on our true goals. Those of protecting history, song, the weave, Arawyn and our bard friends. We must not let ourselves become so overwhelmed with hatred or vengeance that we find the goal of killing takes over. Killing them or destroying them without stopping their goals does nothing but corrupt us, and grant them the glorious death they seam to want so much. Do not give them the joy of being compared to great and terrible villains Travance has faced in the past. Stop their plans and make their deaths in the process a side note in the grand tale of how Travance saved history and the weave (again).

I highly doubt it is possible we will be able to resolve this without killing. I just want the town gathering and uniting for the right purpose.

Sorry if my words are not well put, but I don't like writing this much.

Caldor

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aria (Aria), Gwynedd (Gwynedd), Maralas (adamdrew3), Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
18 Jun 2014 16:49 #19 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic Re:The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
Though Gideon and I cannot be there this moon, I suggest druids and rangers ready their spells of howling winds to combat the effects of these evil songs.

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
The following user(s) said Thank You: Verrill Lebastion (Wellby)
18 Jun 2014 21:59 #20 by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby)
Replied by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby) on topic Re:The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
Caldor,

You may think the focus in this matter is vengeance. It is not. These miserable wretches have been damned foolish enough to embrace a way to harm OUR weave. I said nothing about killing these miserable creatures, that is a matter of baronial justice and many have already laid claim to the heads of these off-tune caterwauling taffers. As a mage, it is my duty to peel these caustic brands from their flesh and see to it this wanton destruction is brought to a swift end.

Magistrate of Travance
R. Tzaareth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Verrill Lebastion,
House Elder of House Bastion
Xeno-theologist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OOG: -Ben .H
Monster Marshal
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
18 Jun 2014 22:05 #21 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
A few things...

1. I recall seeing other people who were not at the start of the wedding, arriving & trying to stop these beings. Their spells and abilities did NOT stop the singing. It seemed nothing stopped the singing & the power to paralyze all who heard it. I do not know the details or if there are other solutions to what occurred.

2. Can some describe or draw this "broken treble clef, combined with runes of pain and suffering." as I have no idea what those symbols look like.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
18 Jun 2014 23:57 #22 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
I have no great skill for sketching, but it looks somewhat like this.

-Alexandre Blythewood

Attachments:
19 Jun 2014 14:06 #23 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
I have one other detail.

They draw their power in some way from a being known as Lady Cymoril. I know practically nothing about her. Anyone with information, please contact me immediately.

-Alexandre Blythewood

• Sindarion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • "I hope you all enjoy iambic heptameter."
  • Thank Yous: 318
20 Jun 2014 02:53 #24 by Sindarion (Steven SA)
Replied by Sindarion (Steven SA) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
No matter what happens, make sure to give them a good smack about their bums if I'm not able to do it myself.

~ Knight Morgan "Sindarion" Sinclair
[strike]Vagabond[/strike] Harper

OOG:
Steven Sebastian Amore
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fie! (Triminac)
  • Kuo Kun
  • Thank Yous: 34
20 Jun 2014 11:39 #25 by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun)
Replied by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun) on topic The Athenaeum of Hollow Song
It really is such a waste. Think of how much they have seen and must know; how much they could have helped the world with their powers, if they were not so intent on getting their way over others.

Ah well.

Kuo Kun
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.829 seconds