Concerning True Lycanthropes.

18 Aug 2014 17:19 #1 by Gabrian Grottings (E.B)
Concerning True Lycanthropes. was created by Gabrian Grottings (E.B)
Dominic, who I understand is an expert in all things lycanthropic and who has expertly been protecting our town for quite some time, made mention to a small group of associates and I that the werewolves have been breeding, creating something that the witch hunters have dubbed as a True Lycanthrope. This creature he explained is capable of shifting whenever it pleases regardless of the moon. While I didn't personally see it, I understand the witch hunters caught and disposed of one of these lycanthropic babies this past gathering.

As a citizen, I'm concerned that this was the first notice that the public had received of such a threat. How long has the witch hunters been aware of these True Lycanthropes and when were they planning on informing the public?

Eli
RP Marshal
19 Aug 2014 01:10 #2 by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes)
Replied by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes) on topic Concerning True Lycanthropes.
If such a thing still exists, if one could be captured alive, instead of being slain immediately, I should very much like to examine such a specimen. The potential research value of such a being is astronomical. Should a live capture be performed, I would dearly love to have the chance to study it before those who hunt that which goes bump in the night slay it.

In science and progress,
Nigel Whitworth, Gentleman Apothecary

"What do you take me for? Some kind of big damn hero?"
Sergei Petsho, Voivode and Steward of Inovar, Owner and Masseur Extraordinaire of Magic Hands Massage.

"What, it's for my research, I swear!"

"Here, kid, suck on this and shut up for a while."
Aengus MacAengus Hesperus, Professional Old Person

OOG: Chris Zipeto
Storyteller
  • Not An Assassin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I'm not a man fighting against monsters, I'm a monster fighting against the world as it reclaims itself.
  • Thank Yous: 344
19 Aug 2014 07:30 #3 by Not An Assassin (Salem)
Replied by Not An Assassin (Salem) on topic Concerning True Lycanthropes.
I agree with Nigel's idea, but if either I bring you one alive or I hear someone else has, I'm going on a murder fest for the rest of them. No mercy.

-J

Salem Noire, Lieutenant Commander of the Blood Spirits

Lieutenant Leon Drekken of House Zezima

OOG-Reece Belmont
19 Aug 2014 09:22 #4 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
Replied by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta) on topic Concerning True Lycanthropes.
*****not Birgitta*****

As a scholar I agree. If this is a new creature perhaps there are physical differences useful in or for identification. I would be happy to draw a visual record if such a capture occurs.

Lori Blackstone

Birgitta Drexel (Primary)
Commander of Training Baronial Militia
Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

"Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong"

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
  • Chesta
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 134
19 Aug 2014 10:32 #5 by Chesta (Kevin)
Replied by Chesta (Kevin) on topic Concerning True Lycanthropes.
Since another hunter has yet to reply I shall do so until a member of the academy can explain. But please note that since I am no longer a member of the academy I hold no sway in their actions, nor do I even know the specifics of what they plan.

First off let me correct a small mistake in your questioning Bolton however it is completely understandable to make. It is not anything that those corrupted with lycanthropy mate with each other to give birth to an offspring with lycanthropy. What I mentioned was that were creatures are being born naturally without an pressence of the lycanthropic disease. In short, were creatures are being born in nature, which should not be possible but is occurring nonetheless. Now as to this information being shared, yes it has been shared the same moon this was discovered. We discovered this around the same time as the change in the strains of lycanthropy as we used to know. Now these discoveries were announced by Master Galen Von Ritter while in the inn.

As for experimentation on these changes those masters who have started learning the more ancient ways of the witch hunters are currently taking care of it.

Finally Bolton, I thank you for your praise but I would not call myself an expert. I simply know what I am talking about.

Chesta Hartwick MazoKisei
19 Aug 2014 10:32 #6 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Concerning True Lycanthropes.
While this may seem naieve, if these are a new breed of creature and not affected by the moon cycle, are we sure they have the same evil nature as Lycanthropes? Is it possible to reason with these new creatures, or are they purely viscious beasts?

Having said that, I also remind anyone who seeks to fight and/or capture such creatures to seek druidic protections before doing so, and should you be hurt by one of these beasts, see a druid for cleansing afterwards. I do not know if their bite works the same way as that of a lycanthrope, but better safe than sorry.

Caldor

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • Chesta
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
19 Aug 2014 10:45 #7 by Chesta (Kevin)
Excellent questions Caldor.

Now these are similar in nature to were creatures we are aware of because of the similar regenerative properties and their allergic reaction to silver.

Now it is very important to bring a Druid with you if you are not in possession of any silver weapons as this pertains to actually curing lycanthropy passed the previous time limit of the first full moon. If you bring a were creature, any were creature to the brink of death and then have a druid cast a druidic restoration upon them then it was discovered that you can cure the lycanthropy in the victim. However if you are in possession of a silver weapon then after bringing them to the brink of death you can have a healer bring them back from the brink to cure them, remember this method requires the use of a silver weapon to bring them close to deaths door.

• Not An Assassin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I'm not a man fighting against monsters, I'm a monster fighting against the world as it reclaims itself.
  • Thank Yous: 344
19 Aug 2014 10:49 #8 by Not An Assassin (Salem)
Replied by Not An Assassin (Salem) on topic Concerning True Lycanthropes.
"Allergic reaction to Silver" was all I needed. Always know your enemy's weakness before you initiate combat with it.

Thank you,
-J

Salem Noire, Lieutenant Commander of the Blood Spirits

Lieutenant Leon Drekken of House Zezima

OOG-Reece Belmont
  • Elric_Ashby
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • LORD OF POTATOES
  • Thank Yous: 113
19 Aug 2014 11:15 #9 by Elric_Ashby (Elric_Ashby)
Replied by Elric_Ashby (Elric_Ashby) on topic Concerning True Lycanthropes.
Dominic,

I have gotten only a glimpse of Nigel's studies, but his research goes beyond what even your masters are doing.
I would recommend allowing him to study one.

Signed,
Dr. Solvei.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Father Elric Ashby, Artificer, Priest of Galladel, Master of the Adventurer's guild, Warden of the Phokus.

Dr. Viktor Solvei, Pioneer Surgeon

OOG Benjamin Oakley, New Player Marshal... of doom
19 Aug 2014 11:31 #10 by Gabrian Grottings (E.B)
Replied by Gabrian Grottings (E.B) on topic Concerning True Lycanthropes.
I believe that Dr. Solvei raises a point of tantamount importance which concerns not only this specific case, but also hints at a much larger problem; more often than not a select group of individuals- in this scenario the witch hunter masters and their academy- hordes vital information and excludes all others. I know the witch hunters (I assume coming from this so called academy) have a long history of letting the ends justify the means, but not only is this practice of exclusion dangerous it is also irresponsible considering the fact that there are members of this town who could greatly help.

I would urge all you readers to ruminate on this and to think of ways in which you might include others into your works so that through the spirit of collaboration and open mindedness we can work together to improve the world we live in.

Eli
RP Marshal
19 Aug 2014 11:44 #11 by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes)
Replied by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes) on topic Concerning True Lycanthropes.
Now, I am quite certain Dr. Solvei meant no offense to the most knowledgeable members of the academy (though I do thank you for the vote of confidence. Jolly good, doctor.). However, it is true, I possess a knowledge and experiential base of somewhat nonstandard [strike]means[/strike] source. I have more than a passing familiarity with nonstandard negative energy beings and the inner workings of those with corporeal forms. In addition, I believe the scientific community would greatly benefit from the study of such a creature. The potential insights as to species development and the functions of negative energy creatures are tremendous, especially if those of us outside of the academy of witch hunters, many of whom have areas of expertise overlapping or supplementary to those of the witch hunters, are allowed access.

In science and progress,

"What do you take me for? Some kind of big damn hero?"
Sergei Petsho, Voivode and Steward of Inovar, Owner and Masseur Extraordinaire of Magic Hands Massage.

"What, it's for my research, I swear!"

"Here, kid, suck on this and shut up for a while."
Aengus MacAengus Hesperus, Professional Old Person

OOG: Chris Zipeto
Storyteller
  • Chesta
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
19 Aug 2014 12:07 #12 by Chesta (Kevin)
Since I am no longer one of the witch hunters I can say that I will assist in the capture of a true werewolf for Nigels research.

However their is one warning I would like to give to all who attempt to capture a true werewolf, they are stronger and far superior than even previous greater lycanthropes. They are incredibly dangerous and our lack of information about their capabilities are even that more intimidating. I have faced them once a few months ago, and the power in them were staggering. So to those who encounter one, I warn you, be careful.

We know not the full extent of their power and from what I have seen, what we already know is vast.

• GJSchaller
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
19 Aug 2014 15:20 - 19 Aug 2014 15:39 #13 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Concerning True Lycanthropes.
Bolton, your note about sharing information strikes near and true to my heart. You have the right intention, but caution is in order.

In the years I have been in Travance, I have come across several facts that if they became common knowledge, would be extremely detrimental to the lives of everyone in Travance. Sometimes, even knowing a fact without the ability to act on it can mark you for death from the likes of Evernight, or other nefarious opponents.

Collaboration is key. Rather than assuming that Witch Hunters are withholding information, ask them for help and advice. If you want to deal with a plant-based threat, you would talk to the Druids. If there's an issue with an altar in the ruins, speak to a member of the Clergy. In each case, the group holds the expertise needed to deal with the situation. After all, you likely would not approach a member of the Clergy to deal with plants and wildlife.

Some times, the answer is "If I tell you, it makes things worse." That is how a certain dark fey was freed from containment - anyone who heard his story was compelled to help free him.

Do not assume someone knows something, and is withholding it. Your initial statement assumes members of the Academy were aware of these creatures - do you have evidence to back this claim? There have been times people assumed I knew facts I did not, and it was detrimental.

It is my personal belief that information should be shared, when possible, as long as it does not pose a threat to the populace, or run the risk of becoming twisted in retelling. When in doubt, the best action is to refer a querrent to the best authority on the subject, so that data can be shared accurately.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
Last edit: 19 Aug 2014 15:39 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller).
24 Aug 2014 21:13 - 24 Aug 2014 21:17 #14 by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena)
Replied by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena) on topic Concerning True Lycanthropes.
Sir Weaveforger's words strike nearest the truth.

Education is good. But a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. On behalf of the Hunters, I vow on my dedication to the Quill and The Great Story that any information that CAN be shared WILL be shared. But I equally swear that that which can not be shared, will not be.

As an aside, would you not agree that it is often better to wait until ALL facts are known before making information public, rather than in drips and drabs that can lead to speculation, misinformation, and panic?

Coincidentally, before I had seen this posting I had already taken steps to address the very situation you've described. Keep an eye on the Chronicle, Bolton. I think you'll be pleased.

IN THE MEANTIME, FOR ALL CONCERNED

Do not attempt to capture a lycanthrope on your own. Find a Hunter, preferably of the Reign House.

If possible, do not strike a deathblow upon a lycanthrope. If you find yourself in "possession" of an unconscious werewolf, bring it to a Hunter, again preferably of the Reign House.

I will remind you all that to hunt or study a lycanthrope is to hunt and study a living, breathing, thinking, possibly terrified humanoid. A person. One who may not even be aware of their actions. I urge appropriate restraint.

Those who wish to engage in such research and study: please contact me at your earliest convenience. Your help may prove invaluable. Nigel, Dr. Solvei, I would speak with you as soon as possible, if you could. Bolton, I invite you to be part of the conversation as well.

I politely request that any further public discussion on the topic be closed for the time being, and that any further action on the subject be brought directly to me.

-- Ehlena Reign

All hunters die. But not today.

OOG Jenna L.
Main: Ehlenathelasa Blacktree
Alt: Hazar Bint Sha'Haban
Alt: Erim Walker [Retired]
Last edit: 24 Aug 2014 21:17 by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena).
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.656 seconds