"Ragnarok": A call for information!

08 Sep 2014 23:43 #1 by Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast)
"Ragnarok": A call for information! was created by Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast)
Good people,

This will be where we all compile information on the weapon known as "Ragnarok" or any other weapons of a power sufficient enough to be comparable.

Please make yourself known and offer any information you can. Even if you feel it may be redundant or basic in its content, we will need any clues or resources that can be found. Our lives and our souls will depend on the success or failure of this research effort and the following quest to recover the "Clean" option for destroying Balfurous.

We need not become the enemy in order to defeat him.

Seek the truth and walk in the light,
Lucien Belfast
Priest of Valos

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
09 Sep 2014 00:02 - 09 Sep 2014 01:59 #2 by Goggs (coryan)
Replied by Goggs (coryan) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
Wotcher Mister Belfast,

Here follows what information I've been able to bring together thus far:

As far as I've been able to discern, legend tells that the weapon was formerly wielded by a revered warrior from the Northern Wastes. A number of ancient poems and songs feature both he and the blade, and while I haven't been able to ascertain precisely where the weapon came from or how it entered his possession, from studying these, it seems that swinging the weapon brings about some sort of great traumatic force - there are numerous mentions of great numbers of opponents being flung through the air, or knocked to the ground.

Perhaps most heartening of all: by performing an analysis of the foes Ragnarok is told to have slain, I believe we can claim that the weapon will prove effective against Mister Balfurous with approximately 90-95 parts certainty. What precisely will happen when we apply an unstoppable force to an immovable object remains to be observed.

Count Winterdark has ordered that I assemble a small expedition to retrieve the weapon from its resting place - once we've finished preparations, we hope to leave in just over a week's time. There is no indication that any organs will need to be sacrificed during the process.

I hope this information will be of use to all who read it.

Opus Venare,

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
Last edit: 09 Sep 2014 01:59 by Goggs (coryan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swyft (agentswift), Meander Correlis (SarahBrand), Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast), Azrael (newtyperx79)
09 Sep 2014 01:42 #3 by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes)
Replied by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
If you're needing of my help, it is yours on this expedition.

Bran

"What do you take me for? Some kind of big damn hero?"
Sergei Petsho, Voivode and Steward of Inovar, Owner and Masseur Extraordinaire of Magic Hands Massage.

"What, it's for my research, I swear!"
Nigel Whitworth, Gentleman Apothecary

"Here, kid, suck on this and shut up for a while."
Aengus MacAengus Hesperus, Professional Old Person

OOG: Chris Zipeto
Storyteller
09 Sep 2014 02:20 #4 by Daniel McKraegar (Daniel McKraegar)
Replied by Daniel McKraegar (Daniel McKraegar) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
While the need to find Ragnarok is great it will not be a replacement for Bloodtide. We need something more than legendary weapons. The reason for Bloodtide was a weapon that could prevent Balfurous from turning into a block of ice and using his incredible healing powers. Ever bleeding wounds would prevent that. The powerful blows from Ragnarok would matter little when Balfurous can simply stop and heal himself.

Do not take this as me condoning the use of Bloodtide, even with my sacrifices to make it. I'm simply pointing out what an alternative would need to accomplish: make it so Balfurous can't stop and heal.

Jason Michaeli

Sir Daniel McKraegar
Knight of Kaladonia
09 Sep 2014 02:32 #5 by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes)
Replied by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
If what is needed is to halt healing and regenerative effects, perhaps one might look to the records of those who hunt lycanthropes. One would think that those used to combating regeneration would have some form or technique towards doing so.

In addition, I have been working towards something that may well prove of use in such an endeavor. One merely hopes that I shall be able to complete my research in time.

In science and progress,

"What do you take me for? Some kind of big damn hero?"
Sergei Petsho, Voivode and Steward of Inovar, Owner and Masseur Extraordinaire of Magic Hands Massage.

"What, it's for my research, I swear!"

"Here, kid, suck on this and shut up for a while."
Aengus MacAengus Hesperus, Professional Old Person

OOG: Chris Zipeto
Storyteller
09 Sep 2014 02:34 - 09 Sep 2014 11:56 #6 by Illyrin Soral (Gaeth)
Replied by Illyrin Soral (Gaeth) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
Goggins,

I wish I could help with this expedition. I wish you the best of luck and pray for your success.

A student of the world,
Seeker of the Lost Word,
Illyrin Soral

Brother Illyrin Soral
Seeker of the Veiled Truths
---

Archibald Blackmoore,
Monster Hunter Extraordinaire

OOG: Galen F, "The Frozen"
Last edit: 09 Sep 2014 11:56 by Illyrin Soral (Gaeth). Reason: Screw you, autocorrect
09 Sep 2014 07:22 #7 by Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast)
Replied by Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
Sir Daniel McKraegar,

I do hear what you have said and I must write with all finality, that you and none of us know that Bloodtide will work. It has never been done before and so cannot be proven to be true. We are told that it will, but even our brightest scholars can only guess as to its effectiveness because the weapon Bloodtide has never been used in this fashion before.

I would rather fight my enemy with a pointed stick than use a weapon born of murder and defilement. If we are so clever to have devised a way to forge a weapon capable of causing an ever-bleeding wound, are we not clever enough to find a way to stop Balfurous from turning to ice?

There is another answer. There is a path to redemption and we will find it.

Lucien Belfast
Priest of Valos

09 Sep 2014 08:05 #8 by Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast)
Replied by Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
Furthermore,

I was recently made aware of a creature of immense destruction, a Fire giant of proportion and power beyond reckoning.

Surtur it is called and rumored to reside within Honor's Peak.

I would not wish this new enemy to appear, however I feel there must be some connection of perhaps a divine coincidence between the rumored return of the Lord of Fire Giants and the need to destroy a Demon of Ice.

Perhaps setting these forces against one another in combination with a weapon of legend may be enough to see Balfurous' destruction.

Lucien Belfast
Priest of Valos

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
09 Sep 2014 08:05 - 09 Sep 2014 08:17 #9 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
The weapon has been forged, and the reputation of Travance is forever stained. That stain can be lightened when those who murdered are dealt with according to law. There were other things done, such as lying when inquiries were made concerning the replacement of some of the hearts "harvested." We have the means, but even that was not done.

Fighting Balforous with a stick can be tried, but Galladell will count your death as a suicide when you appear for judgement. We might as well use it, as to lay it aside would make the murders completely pointless.

Pendarvin has been aware of Surtur's rousing for several months, and we have been working on a solution. We scouted the area in force and have an idea of what we are up against.So far as I know, and I have studied Surtur extensively, there is no connection. He does reside in the volcano atop Honor's Peak and can usually be mollified by feeding him sufficient magic, though what is sufficient and the current efficacy of that approach is not certain.

By mollified, I mean put back to another long rest. Calling him a Lord is understating what he is. I do not know the rank of this Demon of ice, but we can overcome most demons. I do not believe that is the case with the god of the Fire Giants. For if Surtur is not a their god, then certainly a demi-god. I do not elevate him to the same level of power as the gods men worship, but he is worshipped by Fire Elementals and Fire Giants for a reason.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
Last edit: 09 Sep 2014 08:17 by geezer (geezer).
09 Sep 2014 08:43 #10 by Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast)
In your wisdom Edwin, would you be able to determine if the flames of Surtur would be hot enough or capable of preventing Balfurous from taking on his form of ice which protects him while he heals his body?

I would not wish to fight both the might of the Mountain and the Demon Balfurous at once, but if such heat that Surtur possesses could be harnessed then perhaps we can find a way to augment the heroic blade known as "Ragnarok" to make it as effective as Bloodtide is rumored to be.

Lucien Belfast
Priest of Valos

• Thank Yous: 21
09 Sep 2014 12:07 #11 by Azrael (newtyperx79)
Replied by Azrael (newtyperx79) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
My expertise does not lie in research but I would be interested in joining this expedition to find Ragnarok. For all avenues should be explored. Should we have more ways to fight Balfurous, the higher our chances may be to defeating him. Using only one would be foolish, even if one was created through evil deeds.

I shall not falter to provide my services in the search for Ragnarok.

As for this Surtur, I wish to explore perhaps augmenting Ragnarok as said, or getting this giant to assist in some way even if not willingly in our battle should it prove helpful.

Azrael

OOG: Luis Morales
  • Magnus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In fearful Day, In Raging Night...
  • Thank Yous: 483
09 Sep 2014 12:34 #12 by Magnus (hippy g0th)
Replied by Magnus (hippy g0th) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
In less then a week.... you the holiday when many members of travance bring their younglings out of hiding and let them run with the hero's... Damned i needed to get to that graveyard

Magnus

Matthew Majchrzak

ST

Lord General Magnus

"Not Dead Yet!"
09 Sep 2014 12:36 - 09 Sep 2014 15:41 #13 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Replied by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
*written hastily*
Surtur is not actually a Demi-God. He is certainly not as powerful as Balfurous and this is a bad idea. When I can come back I'll detail this.

-Ilana

--
Surtur is a Half-Demon Fire Lord Elemental. He has the powers of an excelled Elemental Warden as well as a fierce warrior. He is powerful, but not god-like.

He is revered as a 'God' because of his unique qualities. It makes him one of the most powerful creatures among his Elementals and Fire Giants perhaps, but that is where that power ends and why it is they that worship him and no other.

However, if I may assist Mr. Goggins with his expedition, I will do what I can to make the journey possible and safe as long as my current duties in Pendarvin do not detain me.

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
Last edit: 09 Sep 2014 15:41 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood).
  • Gilthu
  • Thank Yous: 8
09 Sep 2014 13:12 #14 by Gilthu (Gilthu)
Replied by Gilthu (Gilthu) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
I will help in whatever way is needed. All options must be looked at and researched incase one turns out to be false.

~Gilthu
Elder Druid
Verdant of Ostcliff
"Something something nature, something something Arawyn, something something destiny"

OOG: Phill Uhlig
09 Sep 2014 17:36 #15 by Piggy Punch (Wyen Nightfrost)
Replied by Piggy Punch (Wyen Nightfrost) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
My suggestion to the other alternative for making Balfurous unable to heal is the curse the masters of house reign are able to grant their enemies. Was this line of thinking ever explored?

Baht A'tal Damien Mograinne
Champion of Galmachis

OOG Josh LaBar
  • Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
09 Sep 2014 17:41 #16 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
Explored and dismissed, yes. Apparently it would take over 200 witch hunters to begin to deal with Balfurious.

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
09 Sep 2014 17:46 #17 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
I will join the expedition, if you think I might be useful.

-L

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
  • Swyft
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.
  • Thank Yous: 339
09 Sep 2014 17:50 #18 by Swyft (agentswift)
Replied by Swyft (agentswift) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
I think Lucien is on to something. Perhaps there is a way to either control or convince Surtur to fight for our cause. I have not had many dealings with demons that wasn't straight out warfare, but perhaps they can be reasoned with?
It is surprising what patience and politeness and accomplish.
Is Surtur something with presence of mind enough to understand these things? Can he be spoken to, reasoned with?

I will help and do whatever it takes to make this happen or anything else that we find will work. Please, let me redeem myself.

Dame Swyft T. Glitterfang-Johnson-Ludwig
-Knight of Corvancia
- Carnifex of Aguara
- Designer of Stonefall Couture: "Because you're never too bad to look good!"

(OOG: Renée Day)
09 Sep 2014 18:08 #19 by Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast)
Demons are known to be combative and mistrusting of one another.

I would not suggest treating with one demon over another, but if Surtur feels insulted or threatened by the presence of a Lord Ice Demon, perhaps near his domain, it may cause Balfurous to expend resources at least in quieting the Fire-Lord , affording us some relief.

It is said that Surtur is hungry for magic and so may follow a "trail of breadcrumbs" if you will.

I apologize if any of this seems outlandish, but it would not be the most outrageous leap of logic I have seen done in Travance to be sure.

Lucien Belfast
Priest of Valos

• Hold the line, never falter.
  • Thank Yous: 31
09 Sep 2014 18:48 #20 by Saoirse Mac'Sidhe (Sidhe)
Replied by Saoirse Mac'Sidhe (Sidhe) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
It is heartening to see that members of Travance wish to find alternative means to this abomination BloodTide. In matters concerning Ragnarok I think we may have to be careful with how many people we bring to retrieve the weapon. So far I have compiled a list with Goggins and we are up to a dozen? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, Goggins.

I had heard rumor of another sword that resides inside Honors Peak. In retrieving it, we could kill two birds with one stone. Perhaps we could get some of the Fire Giant Lords essence..or whatever it is we might need for him, and retrieve the sword. It is said to be a Divine Sword with the same properties as Blood Tide. I suggest another group be formed to retrieve, or attempt to retrieve, that sword while the other party goes for Ragnarok.

Astrid Aldorson

Saoirse Mac'Sidhe
Clergy of Galladel
Champion of Galladel
Centurion

Riley Kane

OOG Name: Kayla Arold
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swyft (agentswift)
09 Sep 2014 20:03 #21 by Daniel McKraegar (Daniel McKraegar)
Replied by Daniel McKraegar (Daniel McKraegar) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
Father Belfast:

It is none that Bloodtide will work. Two people, Philidin and Belegchand, have simply touched the blade and have wounds that would not stop bleeding. If not for the intervention of the Visraki to save Philidin and Palinthorn to save Belegchand those two would have died.

This weapon was originally forged by the ancient evils of this world for Belloc to fight Nimfear. It was made by dragon slayers to fight a half dragon. There is no reason to be uncertain, it will work.

Ragnarok is still needed, and I will lend my aid to the expedition.

Jason Michaeli

Sir Daniel McKraegar
Knight of Kaladonia
09 Sep 2014 20:20 #22 by Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast)
Sir McKraegar,

I thank you for your assistance and welcome it gladly.

The fact of the matter is that if Bloodtide delivered it's fatal wound to a non-demon, then that likely means that we were not successful in properly attuning it to our enemy.

Its original purpose was to slay dragons, and during its reforging process it was supposed to have been "retrained" to cause its wounds to demon-kind. Yet here we have two examples of it not destroying the lives of demons but of two elves.

Since this weapon has never been weilded by mortals, we have no proof positive way of knowing of its effectiveness. What evidence I can gather does not bode well. Which is why I have been so adamant in my opposition, as well as brash in my demands for further action.

I trust this makes sense to you.

Lucien Belfast
Priest of Valos

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
09 Sep 2014 20:40 #23 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
If I can be of any help in this mission, I offer my services.

I also suggest bringing at least one Master Psion on this mission. I would suggest asking Silas Krone for his multitude of abilities, or my student Raxas.

Alana also would be a good candidate due to her ability to travel the elemental planes.

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
  • Nicoletta
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 442
09 Sep 2014 20:41 #24 by Nicoletta (fyperia)
Replied by Nicoletta (fyperia) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
NONE OF YOU EVEN KNOW FOR SURE THAT RAGNOROK EXISTS (ALSO THE LEGENDS DO NOT CLAIM IT IS FROM THE NORTH) I SUGGEST YOU RETHINK YOUR STRATEGY BEFORE YOU GO TRAPSING OFF IN THE WRONG DIRECTION TO FIND AN ARTIFACT OF CHILDS TALES

BLOODTIDE WILL WORK... EVEN BROTHER HIMSELF (A HALFDRAGON) WAS SUFFERING FROM ITS DARK POWER AS HE FOUGHT WITH THE BLADE GRIPPED IN HIS HAND... THOUGH WE BEAR THE BLOOD OF THE ONE IT WAS CRAFTED FOR AND COULD GUARANTEE ITS EFFECTIVENESS IN OUR HAND WE HAVE BEEN FORBIDDEN FROM TOUCHING IT...

ITS PURPOSE WAS NOT TO SLAY DRAGONS... ITS PURPOSE WAS TO SLAY THE WIELDERS BROTHER NIMFEAR AND AS SUCH IT NEEDED TO TASTE THE BLOOD OF THE HERITAGE IT NOW SEEKS TO DESTROY BY THE HAND OF ONE OF THAT HERITAGE

THE INSTRUCTION WAS FOR THE FATAL WOUND TO BE DELIVERED TO A DESCENDANT OF BAALFUROUS (BY A DESCENDANT OF BAALFUROUS) AS THE FIRST STRIKE AFTER ITS REFORGING... AS NEITHER SER PHILADIN OR BELEGCHAND WERE KILLED (BESIDED THE FACT THAT THEY WERE INJURED BY IT BEFORE IT WAS REFORGED) THE FIRST STRIKE SINCE ITS REFORGING WAS A WOUND THAT WILL PROVE FATAL TO THE DARKWOOD DEMON IF IT HAS NOT ALREADY

TZ.

[hr]

OOG: Zelda Turqman
09 Sep 2014 20:52 #25 by Daniel McKraegar (Daniel McKraegar)
Well it's fatal wound was dealt to a wild mage/possible half demon descended from Balfurous (I'm actually uncertain what he was after the procedures he had done to himself). The injuries to a dragoon and an elf (not two elves) were done by the blade before it was reforged, so even in its damaged state it would leave grievous wounds on mortals. The "retraining" as you put it was successful.

Jason Michaeli

Sir Daniel McKraegar
Knight of Kaladonia
09 Sep 2014 20:59 - 09 Sep 2014 21:14 #26 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Replied by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
Father Lucien, I will only make this clear once for everyone as I do not wish to discuss it publicly anymore than I have to:

It will work against Balfurous now. I did not fail in that task. I will alleviate any further concerns in private.

To help anyone with Terezei's concern: I do not believe we are leaving, we are just focusing efforts in confirming Ragnarok's existence. We only found Bloodtide with help and simply going somewhere random would be unsafe. What Travance fails to notice of itself at times, is when it truly wants something, it gets it no matter what, even with all the floundering in between. That is why I chose it in the end.

If it exists, we'll figure it out. But, it is not the only thing we should be looking into (and it will not be. But I do not want to discuss everything publicly and you may send me a letter if truly interested)

To clarify what Kleidin said: I do not exactly travel the planes, only one mortal I know of has that trait 'easily' accessible to them. I simply skip through them temporarily.

Something else I noticed written here: It is meant to be wielded by mortals. The Count explained that is why we are having certain individuals wield it. It drives anyone with 'ancient' lineage mad eventually.

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
Last edit: 09 Sep 2014 21:14 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood).
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
09 Sep 2014 21:02 - 09 Sep 2014 21:09 #27 by Goggs (coryan)
Replied by Goggs (coryan) on topic "Ragnarok": A call for information!
Wotcher,

Indeed, Mrs. Aldorson, what began as a small list has since grown to well over a dozen - today alone, I've had more notes delivered to the workshop with pledges of assistance than will fit in the letterbox! I'm honestly rather overwhelmed by the correspondence... this afternoon, we had to send Rocky out to collect fresh stationery supplies, and we've nearly exhausted those too!

To all those who have pledged their support: my most sincere thanks. You are truly kind-hearted and noble folks, and your dedication to exploration and discovery is worthy of the highest praise. I am honestly lost for words.

Miss Tz - this is not the first time you have seen fit to assist me with some form of research, and now as before, I am sincerely grateful for your insight. Your words here would indicate that you have some knowledge of the artifact we are hoping to find. Are you able to share your information with us? The tomes that document these items are badly organised and littered with untruths; if you are able to share the fruits of your research,I've no doubt that it would prove beneficial to the efforts of the town.

Opus Venare,

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
Last edit: 09 Sep 2014 21:09 by Goggs (coryan).
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 1.024 seconds