Regarding the Orphanage

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
03 Dec 2014 15:52 #1 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Regarding the Orphanage was created by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Several moons ago, a contingent of townsmembers ventured to an orphanage where there were orphans indoctrinated by Balfurous and his minions. If you were in attendance during this visit, I humbly request that you send me a missive with an account of what went on there, or meet with me at the next Baronial Feast at your earliest convenience.

Warmest Regards,

Nalick Underhill
Cleric of Andorra
Viceroy of Ostcliff

03 Dec 2014 15:58 #2 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Regarding the Orphanage
Nalick,

I was present. I would prefer to speak with you in person about it. If you end up not being able to wait to meet up, I will send a missive.

Caldor

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
03 Dec 2014 16:11 - 03 Dec 2014 16:12 #3 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
Replied by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl) on topic Regarding the Orphanage
**NOT THALIA!**

Mr. Underhill,

My name is Matilda Catchlove. I am the current caretaker of the children you were writing about.

While I was not there when this incident occurred, I have been placed in charge of those who still remain at the orphanage - although we have started referring to it as a school. I have spent the last several months working with them, trying to help them.

If you wish to discuss their current conditions, please feel free to contact me. I will - with any luck - be venturing into the town proper for the upcoming Winter Festival. It depends on how things are sitting on that day.

Matilda Catchlove

Thalia Stonebar Burdorn
Consul of Kaladonia
Warden of the Phocus
Ambassador to Calasvorin
Manager, Dragon's Claw Inn;

OOG: Abby Leib
Last edit: 03 Dec 2014 16:12 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl).
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Dec 2014 16:56 #4 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Regarding the Orphanage
Caldor,

Meeting in person is perfectly fine! Since the Lord-Admiral made the offer, perhaps over a glass of wine.

Ms. Catchlove,

At the moment, I am more concerned with the incident than what went on afterward. While I wish I could be present for the Winter Festival -- I have prior, more pressing engagements in Mordavia scheduled for the same date. That said, I look forward to getting to know you at future Feasts.

03 Dec 2014 18:54 #5 by Edmund Patterson (Edmund)
Replied by Edmund Patterson (Edmund) on topic Regarding the Orphanage
I was there, let us speak in private.

Edmund Patterson
Master of Arms
Master Smith / Artificer
Co-Owner of Anvils and Alchemy
Travance
03 Dec 2014 19:19 #6 by Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn)
Replied by Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn) on topic Regarding the Orphanage
I was there for a time. Write me a letter if you have any particular questions.

Huntress Ketryn Shiverthorn
Private of the Baronial Guard

OOG- Kat B.
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Dec 2014 19:55 #7 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Mr. Patterson,

Will you be at the next Feast or shall I drum up some parchment?

Nalick Underhill

04 Dec 2014 17:17 #8 by Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn)
Replied by Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn) on topic Regarding the Orphanage
Master Nalick,

If you choose to make such vile accusations against a number of townsmembers I ask that you at least have the gall to voice them publicly.

Huntress Ketryn Shiverthorn
Private of the Baronial Guard

OOG- Kat B.
  • Narcis
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "For every living person there are generations of dead. Which realm would you rather rule?"
  • Thank Yous: 450
04 Dec 2014 17:29 #9 by Narcis (ChrisR)
Replied by Narcis (ChrisR) on topic Regarding the Orphanage
Why not tell us all what went on? Since a number of people were willing to come out in public to admit their involvement and I'm quite interested to know what went on as this is the first time I am hearing about this.

So why not inform those of us who are not informed?

May you follow your true path,

OOG:Chris R.
Storyteller / Marshal
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Dec 2014 22:09 #10 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)

Ketryn wrote: Master Nalick,

If you choose to make such vile accusations against a number of townsmembers I ask that you at least have the gall to voice them publicly.

Miss Ketryn,

Might I emphasize the difference between making an accusation and attempting to verify the accusations of several other townsmembers?

Nalick Underhill
Viceroy of Ostcliff

• GJSchaller
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
04 Dec 2014 23:21 #11 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Regarding the Orphanage
The following is what happened. If you have an issue with what others are saying, you can bring it to me in person in January.

On Saturday morning, Caldor Eirson received word that his brother, Grimkjell Eirson, had been kidnapped, possibly by cultists. He gathered a group of townsmembers, including his wife (who is a skilled tracker), and myself. I was present for all of the accounts I detail below, and they are first-hand by my own eyes.

Aella followed the trail of the kidnappers to an orphanage on the outskirts of town. In my role of Knight Protector at the time, I entered the orphanage peaceably and without force, whereupon I came across a class of several orphans and their teachers. We expressed our apologies for the intrusion, and dispersed throughout the orphanage looking for Grimkjell and his abductors.

Both Grimkjell, and the Noble that had lead the cult that had captured him, were located, and a melee ensured as the cultist leader attempted to escape. As we gave chase, the students and the teachers in the orphanage took up arms and assaulted the subjects of Travance, including myself.

Let me make the following absolutely clear: The children in the orphanage had been conditioned to worship Balfurous, praise him, and take up arms in his name. They attacked us with deadly intent, screaming devotion to the demon as they had been taught by their teachers. The teachers joined in the fight, directing the children to attack us without mercy.

No sane person at that fight wished to strike a child. I squared off against the adults, attempting to remove the leadership that was directing the children, hoping to get the children to surrender without harm. I saw several townsmembers using whatever non-lethal means they had to subdue the children and contain them, such as holding spells or the like. I specifically offered the adults the chance to surrender to spare both their lives, and to ensure their wards a good, healthy future, and they responded with violence.

The adults were slain to the last, never giving nor accepting quarter, despite it being offered. They specifically attempted to play the morals of myself and others present as a weakness, while attempting to cut us down. The children were disarmed, and treated and healed the best we could without allowing them to pose a further threat to anyone around them.

Again, I will make this abundantly clear: The orphanage was a base of operations for the Cult of the Abyssal Spear, who worshipped Balfurous, and aimed to topple the Barony and Kingdom. They specifically raised the children in a cult of pain, torture, and demonic intent to be used as weapons to serve their dark master.

Beyond this, my knowledge is second hand. It is my understanding that it was discovered that the children were not orphans by chance - rather, the cult members slew their parents to create orphans that they could then adopt and pervert.

I speak confidently when I say that no subject or servant of Travance willingly or maliciously struck a child that day. We were forced into combat by, and with, servants of Balfurous, and did the best we could when met with lethal force coupled with a moral quandary. I have no doubt that at least one child was grievously harmed, and possibly slain, during the melee. I also have no doubt that such a thing was not avoidable given the ferocity of the assault and the number of our assailants.

The leader of the cult was bound, and brought to Travance, where he was stripped of his title and executed as a traitor to Koromyre. The children were placed under the care of both Liadann MacKregar and Miss Matilda Catchlove, both of whom were NOT present at the fight, and whom have begun the process of undoing the damage done by the Cult of the Abyssal Spearand attempting to return the children to a normal lifestyle.

If anyone in this town speaks ill of those who fought to end the cult and save the life of Guardsman Eirson, they will answer to me personally.

By my hand,

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
The following user(s) said Thank You: geezer (geezer), Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Thalia Burdorn (abbyl), Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn), Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Dec 2014 00:24 #12 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Lord Weaveforger,

I am grateful for the comprehensive nature and breadth of your account.

In service to His Grace,

Nalick Underhill

• Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
05 Dec 2014 07:16 #13 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic Regarding the Orphanage
***NOT LOIS***

Begging your pardon, m'lord, but I dinnae watch over these orphans. I took in the ones who were bairn of the Aguarran priestess a few moons ago.

-Liadann McKraegar

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
  • GJSchaller
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
05 Dec 2014 07:50 #14 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Re:Regarding the Orphanage
My apologies, Liadann. I stand corrected.

This town produces far too many orphans.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn)
05 Dec 2014 07:57 #15 by Edmund Patterson (Edmund)
Replied by Edmund Patterson (Edmund) on topic Re:Regarding the Orphanage
I will be at the next feast.

However Gideon pretty much summed it up.

Edmund Patterson
Master of Arms
Master Smith / Artificer
Co-Owner of Anvils and Alchemy
Travance
05 Dec 2014 12:34 #16 by Illyrin Soral (Gaeth)
Replied by Illyrin Soral (Gaeth) on topic Regarding the Orphanage
Thank you for your accounting, Lord Weaveforger.

Brother Illyrin Soral
Seeker of the Veiled Truths
---

Archibald Blackmoore,
Monster Hunter Extraordinaire

OOG: Galen F, "The Frozen"
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.611 seconds