Food For Thought..As The Scholars Say

• Muzen
  • Thank Yous: 13
21 Mar 2015 03:43 #1 by Muzen (Yoshimatsu)
Food For Thought..As The Scholars Say was created by Muzen (Yoshimatsu)
as of recent ive had a really introspective talk with a few philosophers,being a foreigner and have fought under the banner of what you may call "Light" & or "Dark" (enough to make me sick) ive always found the organization of reverence towards divinity in what you call religion interesting,underneath i will surmise what they said and would wish a productive conversation to ensue

"the exceptions of the gods are a heavy burder to bear...agony and toil ambition and triumph,but are we serving the gods? or are we serving ourselves? is it our earthly appetites that rule us or our apparition towards the divine?how do we mortals are to know the divine when we barely know each other?"

Yoshimatsu Ikaeda
Sellsword
"our fortunes are unknown,our failures are known"

oog:Chris S
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
21 Mar 2015 03:50 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Food For Thought..As The Scholars Say
***Not Caelvan***

If you have to ask that question then you clearly will never see or know the divine.

I know mine well.

-Merikh
Priest of Galmachis

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Muzen
21 Mar 2015 07:12 #3 by Muzen (Yoshimatsu)
Replied by Muzen (Yoshimatsu) on topic Food For Thought..As The Scholars Say
yes coming from someone that believes that life is death as simple that it just "happens" i wouldnt want to hear what you have to say,

Yoshimatsu Ikaeda
Sellsword

• Dunn Ironwill
  • Do you require alchemy!?!
  • Thank Yous: 175
21 Mar 2015 09:30 #4 by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms)
Replied by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms) on topic Food For Thought..As The Scholars Say
There is a shining light in all of us, as there is also a deep black darkness as well. Service to the gods is knowing this and keeping the inner darkness at bay.

Signed, With Truth,
Jack Dimms

Professor Dunn Ironwill
Cenobite of Agaura
Occultist.
Vassal of Ostcliff

OOG: Dane Williams
21 Mar 2015 09:51 #5 by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay)
Replied by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay) on topic Re:Food For Thought..As The Scholars Say
I'm a foreigner to the concepts of light and darkness as well, and in the time I've spent out here in the world where that philosophy reigns supreme, this is what I've collected.
Gods without worshippers are very weak things. They feed off the belief of others and reward those believers with a piece of the strength they receive from them. In that fashion, gods and people serve each other, save Malyc, who came down and told some of us he doesn't care if he has worshippers or not and likely will suffer for it. As off the concept of using a god for personal gain, I'm sure it happens, but if the god is well-believed, I have a feeling that at some point they would realize that they were being used and the person would pay to "even the playing field". That is just a guess, not anything based on patterns or fact, so don't quote me there.
As for my god, I've never really felt an appetite for the concept of worship, and still don't, really. The relationship I feel I have with this divine is one of mutual alliance. We have our own opinions on what the other does, but we ultimately support each other's endeavors, and offer what we can to help if it's agreeable. Granted, this doesn't fall under the traditional sense of religious organization, but if I cared, I would be working to change it.
And knowing someone or something comes with the desire to know them. How sad it is that some know a god so well, but may barely know their fellows who they preach to.

Dame Clytie Silverfang, the Pegasus
Knight of Travance
Master of the Mage's Guild

OOG- May Leonard
Kitchen Staff
  • Atrus
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 92
21 Mar 2015 10:32 #6 by Atrus (Atrus)
Replied by Atrus (Atrus) on topic Re:Food For Thought..As The Scholars Say
Often times service to the Gods lines up with service to oneself. The relationship between a God and one who worships, vs one who is able to call upon their powers, vs one who is able to commune directly with their deity is quite different, even from person to person. Can one serve or know the Gods without knowing their fellows- absolutely. If one is truly close-spiritually-with their God, then often times their interests should coincide, otherwise they are not a practitioner of note or merit.

I would not be so quick to cast off Merikh's thoughts or views, he unlike so many here has a much greater understanding of his God, the divine and specifically Fate, greater than many whom claim to "walk in the Light." There is much to be learned from one such as him.

Jack for example, has spent more than enough time rambling nonsense about Divinity, in fact there were questions posted more months than I can remember ago which illuminated a terrible lack of understanding-he continues to not disappoint in revealing his lack of understanding.

Those who are baptized a God and do nothing to worship their God are shitty worshipers. The idea that Gods without worshipers are "weak" only illuminates yet another lack of understanding of the Divine. Without writing an essay here about the nature of the Divine and their relationship with their worshipers, I will simplify my response-

Gods, Demigods, and most beings which attain that level of strength, enough to be considered God-like are so unbelievably powerful that many could bring entire cities to ruin with but a thought. We in Travance exist in this small microcosm where the incredibly powerful and often incredibly stupid reside and do incredibly powerful and stupid things. We see incredible things and forget, regularly, perpetually -and what seems to be purposefully many times- about the outside world, and the scope of power of these entities. When seeing such wondrous things so often, we forget about the true power that these beings wield.

Where so many are blind it is easy to say, "I have no need of what I cannot see."

~Atrus
"Only those who have endured the greatest suffering can become the greatest people."

John
Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maralas (adamdrew3)
  • rivanyasi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Opportunity lets you find, Skill lets you procure.
  • Thank Yous: 42
21 Mar 2015 10:45 - 21 Mar 2015 10:46 #7 by rivanyasi (rivanyasi)
Replied by rivanyasi (rivanyasi) on topic Food For Thought..As The Scholars Say
Service to the Gods allows us to repay the debts that we cannot pay through other material deeds in this life, and faith in them gives resolution to the debts upon which we cannot collect that we feel we are owed by others.

Service and penance, repentance and prayer, these can lend guidance to the recovery from loss, provide paths to reparations, and, as in the case of our priests, even work small miracles in the favor of the faithful.

Even simply having the conviction, in some cases, can be enough to provide strength to those who need it.

~ Na'ar Chacov

Na'ar Chacov, Soul of the Stars.

Ayiri Amexis, Sorceress' Apprentice.
Lupta Tamasa, Torn and Blackened.

OOG: Riva A.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2015 10:46 by rivanyasi (rivanyasi).
  • Dunn Ironwill
  • Do you require alchemy!?!
  • Thank Yous: 175
21 Mar 2015 17:24 #8 by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms)
Replied by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms) on topic Food For Thought..As The Scholars Say
Come again Atrus? I don't believe I read that right....... Did you say I do not worship my god correctly? Though I spend countless days in Vindholme honoring the dead, making sure they get a proper burial, and rememberence ceremony? I have an understanding of my god, do not question my faith.

Signed, With Truth,
Jack Dimms.

Professor Dunn Ironwill
Cenobite of Agaura
Occultist.
Vassal of Ostcliff

OOG: Dane Williams
  • Muzen
21 Mar 2015 21:31 #9 by Muzen (Yoshimatsu)
brother atrus i was responding to merkivhs sense of superiority over me,he must think i am lesser because i simply ask these questions which he does,i hath the divines speak to me in my moments of trials and tribulations,they granted me many things,revenge,glory,enlightenment,"redemption"

Yoshimatsu Ikaeda
Sellsword

21 Mar 2015 22:13 #10 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Replied by Templar Aldric (Selrik) on topic Food For Thought..As The Scholars Say
It as easy to dismiss another for lack of belief or understanding, as it is to willfully ignore that which we cannot see. No, I do not wish to duel with words, and I admonish others not to engage in such. Divinity as Atrus says, is beyond our ability to fathom. It is a much larger realm of experience then mortals can appreciate, even mortals as fortunate to witness the miracles many of us have. So, any difference of opinion on this topic is meaningless. The concept of being right or wrong about such a state as Divinity, when Divinity encompasses quite literally every state of being that exists, is ludicrous. Suffice it to say Divinity exists whether we believe, or not. We may as well say we question our own existence, even as we obviously exist. The better question, rather than question the Gods, is for us to ask ourselves, why are we here? What purpose does our existence serve? To answer that, on some level we find ourselves back to contemplating Divinity.

Templar Aldric
Champion Fisherman of Amanthyre
Prophet of the Holy Light
Templar of Valos

"The sacred writings are quite specific on the subject of killing, but are a bit fuzzier on the topic of kneecaps."

OOG - David McCormick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maralas (adamdrew3)
  • Muzen
22 Mar 2015 00:06 #11 by Muzen (Yoshimatsu)
i do admit i have a bias,when sevenlore destroyed doth moria they killed my family under pretense of what is "right",they put my wife and children to the sword because they were as they say "evil"...perhaps some day the dead will weap for their souls,but i suppose today will not be that day,,,,,

Yoshimatsu Ikaeda
Sellsword

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
22 Mar 2015 10:34 #12 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Food For Thought..As The Scholars Say
Muzen - I would speak directly with you, if you wish. Seek me at the Pendarvin Statehouse or the Inn.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.629 seconds