Holidays

09 Feb 2016 01:06 #1 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Holidays was created by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
We have not had the time or wit about us to mark the year appropriately according to our cultures or Gods. We have let pass many holidays that uplift the spirit and memorialize the fallen. Might I suggest we think now of such things?

Keryth’rina (Memorium): On February 20th of each year, both Sylvan and High Elves reverently reflect upon the Old Age, and the fall of the Elven Kingdom at the hands of Uelrog and his armies. It is said over half of the large population of Elves were massacred that day, and candles are lit in remembrance of not only those deaths, but all civilian deaths that have occurred due to war and conflict.

This is early in the month perhaps, and an Elven custom, but who here does not feel keenly the need to remember the deaths of the innocent over the past two months? A large portion of our fellow subjects died recently. I can think of no better way of honoring the dead of all races than to share these memorials with our Elven brethren.

Templar Aldric
Champion Fisherman of Amanthyre
Prophet of the Holy Light
Templar of Valos

"The sacred writings are quite specific on the subject of killing, but are a bit fuzzier on the topic of kneecaps."

OOG - David McCormick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
09 Feb 2016 01:13 #2 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Holidays
'Tis indeed an Elven tradition, but if candles are lit for not just their own fallen brethren but all, I lend my torch to the cause.

-Nalick

• Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
09 Feb 2016 01:29 #3 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic Holidays
Any who come before me, elf or no, who wishes to light a candle to remember those who are gone, need only ask me, and I shall grant you what I have made.

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meander Correlis (SarahBrand), Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt)
09 Feb 2016 03:11 #4 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
Replied by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix) on topic Holidays
The Smile Bruer teeches that we must keep our fallen frends aliv thru song and storee. Sit around the fir, share a drink with comrads, and tell thare storees. So long az thay ar kept in your harts, thay shall always stay with us.

-Siegfried Aldorson

-Alexandre Blythewood

OOG: Zach Theis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meander Correlis (SarahBrand), Sannyiah Amarie Na (Syn)
10 Feb 2016 01:14 #5 by O. Nesterin (kuemanner)
Replied by O. Nesterin (kuemanner) on topic Holidays
I will be away from the proper on the 20th of this month. With that in mind I have decided to do some candle lighting and remembrance for those we lost in the past months. I welcome anyone to come. You may bring a candle or torch if you desire to light something. I am not a man of faith so I invite any clergy that wish to come and say a few words to do so. I believe the best time for such a thing would be before the feast to honor those who will sadly not be joining us. Perhaps at 5 bells.

Does anyone have an appropriate location they may recommend for such a thing?

-O. Nesterin
Tirisinde

Ser Oacenth Nesterin
Knight Advisor of Alisandria
Dragoon of House Melebrine

OOG: Nick Culberson
Player Rep
10 Feb 2016 04:04 #6 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Replied by Templar Aldric (Selrik) on topic Holidays
This is important enough it should be done AT feast. Perhaps one of our Clergy can do so at the Benediction?

I will not be able to report to the Proper this Feast, I am up to my neck in children that need seeing to. I will likely be able to devote more time to the Proper next feast and hopefully have some Fosters to meet with.

Templar Aldric
Templar of Valos

"The sacred writings are quite specific on the subject of killing, but are a bit fuzzier on the topic of kneecaps."

OOG - David McCormick.
10 Feb 2016 06:36 #7 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Holidays
I would offer the Kaladonia altar space, as always.

If this is not desired, the beach by the lake is always a beautiful place for such a remembrance. My clan held one for my brother there.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
10 Feb 2016 10:54 #8 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Holidays
As a Selendrian I feel doing it at feast would not be a good idea. Keryth’rina is a personal holiday. Each person celebrates it differently.
Some with large gatherings where they light candles of everyone or just one candle for the group. Others walk into the forests that their ancestors walked(granted this was back in Selendrias) lighting a candle at the end. Others isolated themselves for longer than just the day either in their homes, or in the forests. I personally observe this holiday with just family in a clearing in the woods.

My point is, doing it at feast lessens the personal aspect this holiday has. If you feel you wish to honor and remember in a large group, I invite you to take advantage of O. Nestrin's offer.

Sincerely,

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fenri Kantaris (Miked)
10 Feb 2016 19:04 - 10 Feb 2016 19:17 #9 by O. Nesterin (kuemanner)
Thank you Ser McKraeger. I was about to say something similar, myself.

Caldor, if it is not too much trouble, do you mind if I use your altar space 5 bells just before feast? As you saw i would like to do the candle lighting with an open invitation to all who desire to attend.

I have volunteered to assist Ser Cypher with a job he posted, set for 2 bells on the day of the feast. If I have not returned by 5 bells know that I will be back as soon as i can and should you desire to start without me, please feel free to do so.

Sincerely,
Nesterin

Ser Oacenth Nesterin

Player Rep
Last edit: 10 Feb 2016 19:17 by O. Nesterin (kuemanner).
10 Feb 2016 22:56 #10 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Holidays
Nester in,

The altar space is open for all who wish to use it, so long as they are respectful of the space.

I do not know if I will be free at that time either.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
10 Feb 2016 22:58 #11 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Holidays
Nesterin,

I ought to be available at that time, in my capacities not only as a friend, but as a clergyman as well as a Guardsman.

-Nalick

11 Feb 2016 00:29 #12 by O. Nesterin (kuemanner)
If anyone wishes to do this another time please speak freely. I can move it if there would be a more accommodating time for more people to join if they desire to do so.

-Nesterin

Ser Oacenth Nesterin

Player Rep
11 Feb 2016 06:44 #13 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Replied by Templar Aldric (Selrik) on topic Holidays
Forgive my ignorance of the Elven custom. Whatever way is best for you I suppose. This need not be a public event. I cannot observe the custom, as my current duties involve recently orphaned children and right now is not the time to confront them with their loss. That will take time and alot of work for us to reach that point with them.

May the losses of our past, be remembered.

Templar Aldric
Templar of Valos

OOG - David McCormick.
11 Feb 2016 11:19 #14 by Fenri Kantaris (Miked)
Replied by Fenri Kantaris (Miked) on topic Holidays
My parents always took their personal time to light candles around the estate for this to remember other members of the Kantaris bloodline. They refused to let the servants in the house participate.
I will respect the wishes of anyone willing to light a candle but would rather do remembrance with the others from Quinarian.

Fenri Kantaris

OOG: Mike Daly
11 Feb 2016 15:30 #15 by Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist)
Replied by Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist) on topic Holidays
It is pleasing to my eyes to see the embracing of a holiday I hold dear to be done in such a respectful tone. In the Emerald Glade where I grew up, we would light candles hung from various trees and float them down rivers. When I was in the Great Dunes, my company lined the crests of sand hills with our candles.

In the end, how you all remember those who have fallen in one of Travance's greatest trageties is up to your personal decision. Be respectful for those we do not have with us these days.

I will join in Nesterin's ceremony, but will likely be also lighting my own down by the beachside. I suggest that when you choose a sight for your candle to be lit, be sure it is a place that means something to you.

~ Arradir

The Insightful, Knight of Pendarvin
OOG: Joe Glaser | Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
12 Feb 2016 12:07 #16 by Cyndra Stagsblood (Taylorfischer)
Replied by Cyndra Stagsblood (Taylorfischer) on topic Holidays
Nesterin,

I will be there as well, and have candles for those who wish to also remember. The lake seems fitting, weather permitting.

Cyndra Stagsblood
Vassal Of Alissandria

OOG: Taylor Fischer
14 Feb 2016 19:26 #17 by O. Nesterin (kuemanner)
You all have my sincerest apologies for not appearing for the candle lighting. With the weather the way it has been I'm not sure if it even still happened but you have my apologies anyway. I was pulled away on emergency business that could not wait. I hope that you all were able to honor the lost in your own ways or were able to gather without my presence anyway.

Sincerely,
Nesterin

Ser Oacenth Nesterin

Player Rep
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.632 seconds