Request from the Chancellor of the Arts: Songs and More!

• Sindarion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • "I hope you all enjoy iambic heptameter."
  • Thank Yous: 318
24 Jul 2016 22:30 - 24 Jul 2016 22:34 #1 by Sindarion (Steven SA)
Request from the Chancellor of the Arts: Songs and More! was created by Sindarion (Steven SA)

Attention, friends, family, foes (if I have any), foibles, foils, and all assorted subjects of Travance!

Now that the end of the world has ended and we're still standing, I'd like to address something else most unsettling that I've discovered in the past couple of days.
There have been a surprising amount of songs that people knew the melody of, but not the words!

In order to remedy this lapse of a lack of lyrical lassitude, I hereby propose, as Travance's new Chancellor of the Arts, to compile a collection of songs to keep at the Dragon's Claw Inn (or, pending expeditions, evacuations, or the like, whatever structure we use as a public house and meeting place) ! This will be intended for use as an easy reference for any who wish to sing or sing along - however, I shall need either the lyrics or the titles of songs to include. The more recognizable, the better!
I encourage the provided space below this message to be used for discussion, but I will also welcome any missives sent my way.

As of right now, it will be just a collection of lyrics. However! As time goes on, and if I see that people are using it - and I will be watching (and most likely also singing or dancing along) - I may include more than just the words. I'm talking about sheet music, chords, and the like! Just as above, I will accept contributions of all sort, but again, let's stick with the lyrics for now.

Secondly! I also wish to make this collection of songs an instruction manual for any learning to wish bardic songs. I have been approached by many requesting instruction in bardic Spellsongs, a particular field of magic I have regrettably not been able to devote much of my time to. Because teachers for advanced or even simple songs are not always easily available, I present to you all a quest! A re-quest, for that matter!
I wish to commission a scholar to write a Tome of Bardic Magics!
This will be incorporated into the librum of lyrics as mentioned before. This way, any bards who wish to learn more about our craft can do so at their own leisure!

Now, those of you who know me might be thinking, "But Sindarion! You're a scholar, too!" Alas, I've not had the time to learn the niceties of actually writing instructional manuals for the same reason I've not learned more Spellsongs. This means that my shortcomings are your potential gain!

I will be compensating any scholars who wish to take up this task for their work. I know enough scholarly colleagues, but ideally, I would like the person whose work is to be used to be someone who has not published anything before (Sorry, Haroldson!).
Words deserve to be read, and names deserve to be known, so I heartily encourage any scholars who have not been in Travance for very long to take up this task. We men and women of words wage our battles with pens and ink, and any who teach know that spreading ideas and knowledge can be as vigorous and vicious as any battle.
To any those learning the academic ways, there is no time limit for this, though it will be on a semi-first-come-first-served based on the conditions mentioned above.

So, then, subjects of Travance (and visiting dignitaries from other lands)! With your help, let's make songs more accessible to everyone here!

Sincerely,

~ Knight Morgan "Sindarion" Sinclair
[strike]Vagabond[/strike] Harper

OOG:
Steven Sebastian Amore
Last edit: 24 Jul 2016 22:34 by Sindarion (Steven SA).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Terzak (TheArchMage), Thalia Burdorn (abbyl), Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
24 Dec 2016 03:16 #2 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic Request from the Chancellor of the Arts: Songs and More!
Chancellor,

Has there been any additional progress on this front?

I'd love to assist, as a member of the Guild.

--Mantel

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
24 Dec 2016 08:17 #3 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Replied by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood) on topic Request from the Chancellor of the Arts: Songs and More!
Oh you really had gotten my hopes up Sindarion returned to the proper.

I believe a tome was made, I'll check the table next time the feast hall is set.

-Squire Darkwood

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
24 Dec 2016 08:43 #4 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Request from the Chancellor of the Arts: Songs and More!
I made a Tome of Bardics. If you cannot find it, let me know and I will search it out for you.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
24 Dec 2016 17:03 #5 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic Request from the Chancellor of the Arts: Songs and More!
Ah, thank you for the information, Masters. I'd just heard nothing, and figured the Chancellor could use some encouragement, judging from the lack of public response.

--Mantel

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.473 seconds