Question regarding judicial process

• Faila
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 173
12 Aug 2016 07:36 #1 by Faila (Faila)
Question regarding judicial process was created by Faila (Faila)
Given the Magistrate's recent post here, I was wondering if a scholar or other individual with knowledge of such things (personal or academic) could explain the laws of Travance regarding trials and judicial process? Or perhaps refer me to a treatise.

In service to the People,

I remain,

Faila Stormshard Steelson

IG: Faila Stormshard Steelson
Owner of Steelson Smithing and Culpepper Drumworks
"May your heart be brave, your mind fierce, and your spirit strong."

Alt: "Gigi"
Dealer in rare books and librarian

OOG: Crystal G.
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
12 Aug 2016 10:47 - 12 Aug 2016 10:51 #2 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic Question regarding judicial process
Miss Steelson,

The law surrounding trials in Travance is quite short: unless you are a noble, no trial is required. For nobles, they can demand a trial by combat, though as the Baron's word supersedes all other laws of Travance, he can choose to revoke this right.

Should the Magistrate deem it necessary to collect more information before issuing a sentence or declaring someone innocent, he can order an inquisition. And yes, that does include torture (though generally as a last resort) - His Excellency has granted the Magistrate permission for this, though as with everything else, His Excellency can also remove this permission.

To be a commoner granted a trial is to be granted a privilege normally reserved for nobility. Owing to their relative rarity, there is no standard procedure for trials. They may include statements by the accused, the accuser, witnesses, etc.; they may include various methods of determining truth; they may include nothing but giving the accused a chance to ask for mercy. They do not even need to be public. "Judicial process" - have you been reading books of Londwyn law? I haven't heard that phrase since I left Londwyn 8 years ago - is whatever the Baron and the Magistrate decide it needs to be to best keep order in Travance.

You have no right to a trial. You have no right to "judicial process". You have no right to argue your case, to bring witnesses, or even to know your accuser. You have no rights, only privileges granted by His Excellency, which can be revoked at any time.

In the current matter of these public trials that has caused so much consternation, let me be perfectly clear: the Magistrate asked for these cases to be brought into the light of public trial to show the accused mercy, and the Baron agreed so that all in Travance might understand what is going on.

If you have further questions, Miss Steelson, please feel free to seek me out during the Feast.

In Service to Travance,

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
Last edit: 12 Aug 2016 10:51 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swyft (agentswift), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn), Coran Tanwyn (Jtomlin)
  • Faila
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 173
12 Aug 2016 11:54 #3 by Faila (Faila)
Replied by Faila (Faila) on topic Question regarding judicial process
Thank you Seneschal, for taking the time to fully clarify the law regarding trials (or not trials) in Travance. I very much appreciate the time you took to provide this explanation.

And no, I have not been studying Londwynian books, although I did have some interesting conversations with Arthur Goggins on this subject when I first arrived in Travance. That being said, since many within the Barony have arrived from other lands and within the last few years, it does seem useful to make sure everyone understands the law (or lack thereof) on this subject.

My regards,

Faila Stormshard Steelson

IG: Faila Stormshard Steelson
Owner of Steelson Smithing and Culpepper Drumworks
"May your heart be brave, your mind fierce, and your spirit strong."

Alt: "Gigi"
Dealer in rare books and librarian

OOG: Crystal G.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds