A Sermon for Galladel's Watch

• Leias Kline
  • PSN: Tazrael329, WiiU: Tazrael, Steam: Verakshto (Tonberry Dragoon)
  • Thank Yous: 18
31 Oct 2016 19:53 #1 by Leias Kline (Tazrael)
A Sermon for Galladel's Watch was created by Leias Kline (Tazrael)
There are many names for this evening, All Hallow’s Eve, Halajh’awen, All Saints’ Wake, and of course Galladel’s Watch. It is a holiday in which many believe in and even celebrate the thinning of the veil between the land of the living and the land of the dead. Our practices and traditions have come in part from different groups and clans. Some wear costumes to ward off evil spirits either by scaring them or by convincing them they’re one and the same. Others leave offerings of gifts and candy to the dearly departed, or the spirits which roam the night. Homes are decorated in a similar fashion and many carouse away and enjoy the night, for one evening pretending to be something other than what they are.

My personal favorite tradition is one that I came across while visiting a southern settlement, and one that I make labors to visit each year around this time. I met with a number of travelers who sat around at midnight, drinks in hand, and told tales of those near and dear to them who had passed on. Some had passed prematurely, and others at the end of a long and well lived life. We spoke about how they taught and influenced us, and how even after they had died we still lived for them and devoted ourselves to their memory.

Travance is a place where some of the horrors we speak and jest about in this holiday tend to become all too real. The recent example of the bone eater, the creature that attacked some weeks ago and left a path of death and madness in its wake may lead some to want to forget this holiday. To cast it from their memories and mourn in silence and solitude.

I beg you not to do that.

Do not confuse the madness of monsters with the role that Galladel represents. Death, though not something we are keen to greet, is a natural force within our world. It rarely comes when welcome, and all too often without any warning at all, but it is not something to be feared. Death is an ending, but there is life beyond it. It is the life of those others your own life has touched.

Look around at the children wearing their costumes. Look as they parade about dressed as the Heroes they idolize. Look as they clad themselves as the monsters they fear. For one night they cast that fear aside and revel in the joy of life. It may seem macabre on the outside, but there is a light like no other that shines on this night.

So I implore you. Live. Live and be the Heroes that I know each and every one of you can be. Stand up and face your fears. Go out and find others to walk the night with. Or take a seat and tell stories of those who are no longer with us so that others may know of their lives. Live a life full of stories and experience so that some day there is a child running around on Galladel’s Watch dressed like you. So that it’s your story being told fondly to others around a fire. Live a life that when Galladel hears these tales and asks you if you regret any of it, you can tell him ‘No’.

And may the tapestry that is weaved from your fate include the tale of tomorrow.

Praise Galladel. Praise the Lords of Light.

Yours in faith,
Father Leias Kline

Father Leias Kline
Prior of Galladel

(oog: Matt Benson)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood), Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge), Verrill Lebastion (Wellby), Faila (Faila), Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf), Terzak (TheArchMage), Thalia Burdorn (abbyl), Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt), Kardin (Ben), Midori Suarez (krykit), Moostrav Potrevski ()
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
31 Oct 2016 22:36 #2 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic A Sermon for Galladel's Watch
Amen, Father Kline.

-Nalick

• Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
31 Oct 2016 22:49 #3 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic A Sermon for Galladel's Watch
Hjolda! Well written, Gothi

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
01 Nov 2016 00:33 #4 by Moostrav Potrevski ()
Replied by Moostrav Potrevski () on topic A Sermon for Galladel's Watch
I object, or more so disagree. I see you say that we should have no regrets? I would argue however it is the regrets that we have that make our decisions even more important. It is their overwhelming shadow that is cast upon us and helps us decide how we want to live our lives. Why should one want to die, or even embrace death on their part? I offer the phokus as an example of a way we all may cheat death at one point or another. To tell stories of the dead is not bad, but to revel on them; i find it unhealthy. I say all of this not out of disrespect, but out of a conflict of beliefs.

I understand that the life of a priest may not always be easy, and it is sometimes the questions and ideas of others that help to progress individuals of your nature further in their lives. So in a way I may be helping you in that regard.

I pose the question of you god; and why must you praise him? To your god, you are an ant. When an ant begs you for scraps of wine and bread do you intentionally gift it with crumbs? So why would your god? I would say you need to stand higher than your steeple, and meet your god eye to eye, only then may they ever truly acknowledge you. Speak to your god as friends would to one another, occasionally fight, but in the end be their friend; not an an ant. Personally I step on ants, and never praise my gods. I never say “Oh Holy” or “Oh magnificent”, those are only said if one wants something. Instead I say “My friend”, or “My cousin” for to treat them as equal makes you equal as well. If you are an equal to the gods, you may live as long as them. Although Gods do die, they die much slower than you or me, but it is still inevitable. People have already forgotten my gods, and they are not even dead yet. They are older than yours, but only still children.Your god may even be one of mine, simply more grown.

So I pose this question to all who read this and to Cousin Kline, what does your god think of you, and what do they think of the people who died?

-Moostrav Poetrevski

Moostrav Potrevski
1 of the 8 Heads of the Potrevski family

Jacob F.
01 Nov 2016 09:40 #5 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic A Sermon for Galladel's Watch
Moonstrav -

I have met Klein's god, and mine, and they are far more respectful of us than you suggest. They do not view us as ants, and I feel sorry for your belief that they do.

Also, when you step on ants with such disdain, do you welcome the day something on its level steps on you? Perhaps you should consider the thought of respecting all life, both above and below you.

Caldor

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy (Andy), Moostrav Potrevski ()
01 Nov 2016 12:43 #6 by Midori Suarez (krykit)
Replied by Midori Suarez (krykit) on topic A Sermon for Galladel's Watch
I like this holiday!

It's nice to think that the people who we've lost are a little closer for a while. Like a visit! I bet they would like the sweets, too! I will have to get some to leave out.

-Midori Suarez
Daughter of Mercy

OOG: Kate Iannacone
IG: Midori Suarez, Mercy's Daughter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Moostrav Potrevski ()
01 Nov 2016 13:47 #7 by Moostrav Potrevski ()
-Cousin Caldor

I do welcome a day such as the one you suggest, it is not a strange thought to me. To add, it is not that I don't respect life under me, no it is that I do not respect life as it is. In showing all life no respect, I treat all equally. I in this instance, view myself on the same level at an ant, and as on the same level of your god. This is not to say I do not respect in general, I simply wander on a line of belief that tells me all things are equal. When I travel I most often do not ask directions, for my friends will show me the way. I do things for my gods, and expect favors in return. Even with this nether is demanding, and it creates more of a mutual relationship. This relation ship is stronger than trying to gain power from a life equal to your own by kneeling down and begging.

If one of my cousins where to die, I would be sad; If one of my gods where to die, I would not be any more sad than when it was my cousin. You have me wrong, that I think the gods see us as ants, I say when you "prey" you beg, and no one likes a beggar. To see someone as an ant is to see them as lesser than you, and I am sure that your god sees themselves wiser and more powerful than you, yes, or do you see yourself weaker and stupider? In this view I pity.

-Moostrav Poetrevski

Moostrav Potrevski

Jacob F.
01 Nov 2016 14:36 #8 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic A Sermon for Galladel's Watch
Moonstrav,

When I pray, I ask. I do not beg. Do you beg when you ask a teacher to teach you something? Or an elder of your family to impart wisdom you don't have? Also, it is sad that you only do things for others when you expect things in return.

Also, yes, I do see myself as weaker and stupider than my god. I would hope so. I also happen to see myself as weaker than my wife, my brother, Lord Gideon, Quan Liu, Haroldson, and many others. I see myself as stupider than many... for example Belegchand, Almat, Tobias. Why wouldn't I? Are you so egotistical that you think noone and nothing is smarter or more powerful than you?

It doesn't seem so much that you walk a line where you respect everything, as if you walk a line where nothing matters but yourself. That would be a very sad life, if it is true.

And, who says nobody likes a beggar? I know some who are quite nice people. Many have amazing stories to tell. Some just need help so they do not have to beg further.

Caldor

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Belketra Folles (pleasantexample), Moostrav Potrevski ()
01 Nov 2016 14:50 #9 by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
Replied by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample) on topic A Sermon for Galladel's Watch
Moostrav,

Perhaps your closest cousin ought teach you some respect.

Andrei,

If you're reading this, set him right. But, of course, do it with the compassion your goddess espouses.

With Enax's lead,
Datu Guo Chenjing

PS: I have been in a similar set of mind, and I was also set aright. But I was not that rude.

[hr]

OOG: DJ (She/her)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moostrav Potrevski ()
01 Nov 2016 15:38 #10 by Moostrav Potrevski ()
Cousin Caldor

Again you have me wrong, I am not important. Any one person is only as important as they make themselves to be to others. Still yet all are equal, I am not any superior to Cousin Chenjing or yourself.

The line I walk is not that nothing matters but myself, but that nothing rely matters unless it itself wants to.

Cousin Chenjing

I mean nothing rude or disrespectful to anyone here. Although I speak with certainty I acknowledge that these are my beliefs, and they may not be shared. I only speak to bring about conversation, for it is conversation my friend that lets us gain an understanding of one another. Admittedly It also helps pass the time before we may meet; will you be at the feast this coming moon? I do hope so, so we all may celebrate our lives we share together and not the deaths that plague our thoughts.

To the both of you

As I say all are equal; my view is,
I am no better than an ant; although I may step on one. In the same goes for the fact that a God is no better than I, although it may step on me. The ant may very well even step on the God, and make me irrelevant.

Where you may worship your god, I befriend mine, and i find this difference curios. I wish to ask that no one hold any grievances from these conversations that we may have, lets keep them religious, intellectual, and understandable. If I truly show anyone here disrespect I wish to be told of this; I feel as if I had not. The same goes for that I will say If any is shown to myself, although none has as of yet.

Does this make scene to you? I ask this out of clarity.

-Moostrav Potrevski

Moostrav Potrevski

Jacob F.
01 Nov 2016 16:41 - 01 Nov 2016 16:47 #11 by Midori Suarez (krykit)
Replied by Midori Suarez (krykit) on topic A Sermon for Galladel's Watch
I think it's disrespectful to say that someone's God sees them as an ant. You don't know that unless the God told you. It's also disrespectful to say that the way someone else sees the world is sad just because it's not how you see the world. I think Mr. Potrevski means that no life is more important than any other, whether it's an ant, a person, or a god. And I think Mr. Caldor is saying that some people are smarter or stronger than others, so in that sense, they're not equal, and that it's okay and even wise to acknowledge when someone else knows better than you and there's no shame in asking for help and guidance. Neither idea is sad. They aren't even mutually exclusive (Hehe look! I used fancy words!) They’re just different ideas. All lives can still hold equal value while still having different strengths.

-Midori Suarez
Daughter of Mercy

OOG: Kate Iannacone
IG: Midori Suarez, Mercy's Daughter
Last edit: 01 Nov 2016 16:47 by Midori Suarez (krykit).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf), Moostrav Potrevski ()
01 Nov 2016 17:08 #12 by Moostrav Potrevski ()
That is a very agreeable observation Cousin Suarez. What would you say your view is on life; or even any matter of life? I ask this only to pose more conversation.

-Moostrav Potrevski

Moostrav Potrevski

Jacob F.
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
01 Nov 2016 17:36 #13 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic A Sermon for Galladel's Watch
Moostrav - you have a skewed view of the gods. I can speak with some authority on this matter.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
01 Nov 2016 19:29 #14 by Moostrav Potrevski ()
I do not disagree my friend; but do you see that from my point of view you are the one with a skewed view? May you offer more to this; if not here than maybe at the feast?

-Moostrav Potrevski

Moostrav Potrevski

Jacob F.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
01 Nov 2016 20:47 - 02 Nov 2016 01:17 #15 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic A Sermon for Galladel's Watch
*Not Caelvan**

Mr. Poetrevski,
You are welcome to your objections however there are many who embrace death and even welcome it with open arms. I am one of those people. Death is nothing more than a continuance, a continuance that is a mystery and we should look forward to seeing what is in store for us on the other side.

In your regard to the phokus as cheating death, that is incorrect. You only come through the phokus if The Judge, The Reaper and The Chronicler allow you to. Everyone has their time, and when it is theirs it is theirs. "Cheating" it is not natural and should never be tried, as that will have worse consequences than just simply dying. Revering those who have died, are revered because they are experiencing the next chapter in the story. They have entered the Lords domain and should be respected and highly regarded.

As to your questions on my God; I don't "need" to praise him, I choose to. When I pray to my Lord he answers, wether in the form of a feeling, power, or method that I have not yet experienced he shows himself or his power to me. My God doesn't view me as an ant. I have had wonderful conversations with Him and He is grateful for me bringing the proper message of His words to Travance. He has told me as such and has given me my station personally as way of thanks and asked me to continue my teachings. He did not order, he asked that I continue doing the things that I was already doing and he rewarded me for it. In your analogy, do you award an ant for "being an ant"? Gods acknowledge those who serve them faithfully and properly.

I will answer your question as well. I feel I answered the first part well enough, the second part, he rules over the dead. Yet he does not consider them lesser than him. He believes we should revere them.

I hope this answers your questions. If you wish to discuss in more detail, then we can speak in less than a weeks time.

Z'Hade Enam Merikh Tahzam

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 02 Nov 2016 01:17 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Leias Kline (Tazrael), Moostrav Potrevski ()
01 Nov 2016 22:16 #16 by Moostrav Potrevski ()
Cousin Caelvan

Bravo! In this we get the joy of coherent conversation. I think I did not make myself clear to the others earlier and I would like to just say, Although I contest your beliefs, I do not find them wrong in a seance. More so it is the difference in our beliefs I find interesting. The emotion regarding these topics often separates us from discussing things such as this; such as the dark and light separates your Gods. this separation is usually filled with disdain or compassion. Both of these understandable. Your choice to worship your God is your own, and I do nothing to change that. In fact I applaud it, to take to your own ideals, and explain your beliefs in a non-denigrating manner is very wise of you. To simply spout objections is not constructive but to the explanations that you, and Cousin Caldor, give to your ideals; I commend. Some people feel the need to defend there religion in circumstances such as this conversation, but what is failed to see is that there is need in doing so. I do wish to continue this conversation, so I will ask another question to everyone.

How many individuals do you know, that you would give your life in place of theirs?

For myself I have no number I can count to. Based on my beliefs above, If I where to care about someone, even if these feelings where not mutual, I would most likely do so. For in my eyes that would tip the balance of neutrality that all things live under. If I disliked them or they have done me wrong, I would not. If I did not know them, I would not. If I did not care about them, I would not. My issue with my own belief is that I am quick to consider someone a friend, so I am quick to do to much for some individuals. An example of this would be that I have only met Cousin Chenjing once, and had only sparcly spoken with the man. Still he seems to be a good person in my eyes, and has done me no wrong; there for he is a friend from where I stand, no matter his thoughts of me.

-Moostrav Potrevski

Moostrav Potrevski

Jacob F.
02 Nov 2016 16:21 #17 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Replied by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood) on topic A Sermon for Galladel's Watch
Father Kline,

Thank you for your words.

Moostav and everyone speaking to Moostrav,
Perhaps a separate discussion out of respect is in order for the topic you are trying to elaborate on.

Thank you,

Ilana Darkwood
Squire of Pendarvin

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leias Kline (Tazrael)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Nov 2016 16:51 #18 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
M. Potrevski and all others who've chosen to write here, I suggest heeding Friar Darkwood's advice, speaking as a friend, and as the High Priest of my Goddess.

-Nalick

02 Nov 2016 18:05 #19 by Moostrav Potrevski ()
Is this topic a wrong doing to you? Very well, I see no need for conflict, and to suggest this as a friend I will than say. I felt that such a well worded preaching would be well respected with a controversial conversation corresponding to it's clear and kind criteria; a message that easily captivated many and sparked a talking point that only served to oppose, but in return complement the culture cultivated in this compilation of words. Thank you to all, if any wishes to converse on this topic I would be consequently obliged and honored to continue this conversation.

Thank you to Cousin Leias for such an outstanding piece of religious, and inspirational, literature.

-Moostrav Potrevski

Moostrav Potrevski

Jacob F.
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Nov 2016 03:03 #20 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Typically, sermons and the masses in which they are given, are not an occasion for argument. This should be no different. Debate to your heart and your hand's content, but please separate such from this parchment if you would.

-Nalick

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leias Kline (Tazrael)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.674 seconds