Yule

25 Nov 2016 00:15 #1 by Midori Suarez (krykit)
Yule was created by Midori Suarez (krykit)
People keep saying "Yule." What does it mean?

-Midori Suarez
Daughter of Mercy

OOG: Kate Iannacone
IG: Midori Suarez, Mercy's Daughter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
25 Nov 2016 00:25 #2 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic Yule
Dear Midori,

Ah, what a time to be alive.

This is an excerpt from the Baronial Library's Cultural collection, discussing Holidays of Arawyn, including Yule.

December/January – Yule/Winter Solstice: Throughout late December and early January, peoples across Kormyre, and in more recent years throughout many of the other humanoid kingdoms, celebrate the winter festival of Yule. Full of traditions whose origins are more or less lost to time, Yule is a celebration of brotherhood, togetherness, and triumph against all odds even in the midst of the harshest season of the year. While many practices have come to be associated with Yule from throughout the many cultures of Arawyn, three primary aspects stand out as most distinctive. The first is the particular style of decoration, which includes the use of pine and holly garlands and wreaths, ribbons and bows of red, green, silver and gold, and the traditional burning of the Yule Log. The second is in the great feasting that occurs, which consists of rich foods suitable for the winter months, and the use of warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Hearty wines, ales, and mulled ciders are popular as well. The third most distinctive practice is that of the exchange of gifts between friends and family. Often these take the form of freshly baked cookies and other sweets, but can really be anything at all. Farther north, towards the Highlands and the Barbarian lands, a traditional wild hunt is frequently performed, usually for a great boar or stag, which is then served as part of a large feast to the entire community. Because it falls so closely in line with the Winter Solstice, Druids, where present, are known to perform their own rites during this festival as well.

Happy Falling Ward. I look forward to sharing Rising Enchantment's favorable Yule here in Travance.

--Mantel Warrane, Sylph

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyna Del Dragon (reynadeldragon)
27 Nov 2016 16:31 #3 by Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt)
Replied by Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt) on topic Yule
Midori,

If possible, I'd love to welcome you along for a Wild Hunt.

Del Dragon, Argyle
(OOC: Forest Dougan)
27 Nov 2016 18:01 #4 by Midori Suarez (krykit)
Replied by Midori Suarez (krykit) on topic Yule
Mr. Argyle,

I've never been on a Wild Hunt before. Is it scary?

-Midori Suarez
Daughter of Mercy

• Wren
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 148
27 Nov 2016 20:28 #5 by Wren (Wren)
Replied by Wren (Wren) on topic Yule
Sometimes around Yule benevolent faeries will leave presents hidden around homes and taverns for people to find. If you look hard enough you might find some sweets or small gifts wrapped in colorfull paper. -atleast that's what my mom tells her young school students

- Sir Wrenton Revlis of Albriar, The Knight of Wands.
Steward of Sagewood
Headmaster of Darkwood Academy

O.O.G. Adam D. (Marshal)
  • Kardin
  • The Blackjaw
  • Thank Yous: 121
27 Nov 2016 20:48 - 27 Nov 2016 20:49 #6 by Kardin (Ben)
Replied by Kardin (Ben) on topic Yule
Midori,

Wren is correct about the happy fairies that leave presents for the good people of Arawyn. However he has shamefully ignored the most important servant of all those who hold the Yuletide Spirit in their hearts.

In the North, we have an old tale about a white bearded traveler dressed in robes of evergreen with a crown of holly atop his head. He walks with staff in hand across the lands, delivering presents to well behaved striplings. Often seen communing with the Spirits of the land to aid in his quest of spreading Yuletide cheer. The Winter winds serve at his call, but his heart is as warm as sun that thaws the snow in Spring.

The one, the only, Father Frost!

Kardin Armister of the Hiolangorn || Shield of the North
Vassal to Lord Aleister Tartaros of Drega'mire
Iron Centurion of Palindor

============
OOG:
Ben F.
============
"Never get discouraged. People may punish you for every good thing you'll ever do, but you only fail if they get you to stop. Your actions can mend a heart, save a Light, or topple the mightiest foe."
Last edit: 27 Nov 2016 20:49 by Kardin (Ben).
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
27 Nov 2016 21:26 #7 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Goodness!

The traditions surrounding this holiday are deeper than I'd thought! I have more than a few questions... Hopefully my neighbors in New Haven will be able to show Midori and me. I'm sure the Mordavian Yule festivities will go down in history, celebrating our recovery one year since my fair city was destroyed! I can't imagine how merry the Barony will be this Feast! It is a shame I'm otherwise disposed.

Kardin. I'd love to hear more of that fellow! I'd heard about Father Frost, before. Doesn't he live in the Shack behind the Alisandrian Statehouse?

Ooh! I actually remember him attending my first Brazenite mass! He must be a swell fellow! And how nice of Birgitte's Blood Spirits to aid him to spread fortune and cheer throughout the land.

What an Magnificently Arcane time, Yule!
--Mantel Warrane, Sylph

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
  • Kardin
  • The Blackjaw
27 Nov 2016 21:40 #8 by Kardin (Ben)
Jediah is NOT Father Frost. However, you might be on to something. If you want, there is a tradition regarding singing for the enjoyment of others during Yuletide. Maybe you could carol for him a while.

============
OOG:
Ben F.
============
"Never get discouraged. People may punish you for every good thing you'll ever do, but you only fail if they get you to stop. Your actions can mend a heart, save a Light, or topple the mightiest foe."
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
27 Nov 2016 21:49 #9 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Kardin,

Who is Jediah? I never asserted such a person.

Singing? Is there work to be done? What kind of labor is caroling? I'd love to help prepare for the festivities! I'm sure Father Frost would appreciate the help.

--Mantel

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

• Kardin
  • The Blackjaw
27 Nov 2016 21:52 #10 by Kardin (Ben)
Caroling is when you sing out loud for the enjoyment of others. Normally it's done in groups of people. Who knows? Maybe Father Frost will appreciate your Yuletide cheer!

============
OOG:
Ben F.
============
27 Nov 2016 23:14 #11 by Midori Suarez (krykit)
Replied by Midori Suarez (krykit) on topic Yule
I like singing!

Kardin, what is a stripling?

-Midori Suarez
Daughter of Mercy

• Kardin
  • The Blackjaw
28 Nov 2016 00:35 - 28 Nov 2016 00:50 #12 by Kardin (Ben)
It means young person.

Mantel. Midori. I hope you all have fun on the Wild Hunt this year. I think this will be the first Yuletide I'm spending away from Travance since I arrived, so make sure to have a great time and take part in every Yule celebration you can!

Ask people what Yule is like where they come from. Different cultures have some interesting traditions as well.

For example, in the North-Lands, we would typically go on a massive hunt through the snow and bring back the quarry to prepare a massive feast for the clan. We'd also carve little wooden figures of Father Frost to protect the youths against Maleficarum, known as dark magic. Father Frost spreads Yuletide cheer wherever he goes, but also is the protector of children and their sense of wonder in the world. If he does a good job, that childlike wonder never truly fades.

I'm saddened that my business will take me away for the holiday, but it'd be nice to know that people are spreading the season's cheer and having a merry time.

Happy Yuletide.

============
OOG:
Ben F.
============
Last edit: 28 Nov 2016 00:50 by Kardin (Ben).
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
28 Nov 2016 01:03 #13 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Yule
M. Mantel,

Jediah is a man, a priest of the goddess Glomm. Occasionally he comes down from near the Alisandria statehouse to join us for Feast. He is well-versed in theological studies and in general and while I would avoid placing much stock in his personal beliefs myself, please make your own impressions.

-Nalick

• Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
28 Nov 2016 02:41 - 28 Nov 2016 02:45 #14 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Kardin,

I'll not be around to participate in Master McCoy's hunt, though I will hazard a trip into the Wildernesses of my home, in the spirit of the times and tradition.

I would sit, and speak, and drink with you over the topic of your traditions in more detail. I lived among the Northmen for a short time, but I did not learn as much as I would have liked to before I found myself forced South.

Especially if there is anything I can do to rectify the evils meaned through Magic upon your people.

For the Weave is my Craft. I'll not stand it to be misused in my sights, or beyond.

--Mantel Warrane, Weaver of Brazen

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

Last edit: 28 Nov 2016 02:45 by Mantel (sigma-j). Reason: different opening
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kardin (Ben)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
28 Nov 2016 02:44 #15 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Father Nalick,

Ah... I appear to have been mistaken.

Though, I won't put it past any man nor women nor else to have some inkling, or even semblence of compassion, to spread cheer and gifts to those who need them most.

I'll reserve my judgement, as you alotted me, until the time when I come to finally meet Father Frost properly.

--Mantel, Sylph

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.616 seconds