A Day of Life

19 Apr 2017 21:24 #1 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
A Day of Life was created by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
People of Travance,

Life and death decisions are at hand, and this is no mere cliche. In a time of great need we face a grave threat, one that requires more than prayer, mass, or simple ritual. We need divine intervention.

We must call upon the Gods. Not in prayer, as we often do, but in person. As the Gods walk among us we must do something beyond the normal to draw their attention and bring them to the Proper to aid us in reaching the threat.

As many of you know, while I am a Gothi, the Church has named me the High Priest of Gaia. I seek to perform a devotion on the Saturday of the April Feast that will call to Gaia as we have never done before.

Our plan is to make a day of Life. A day without death in the Proper. From midnight to midnight on Saturday, our goal is to have nothing die. No plant, nor animal, nor person, nor monster. The undead, golems, demons, and similar creatures do not count as alive for this purpose--only those things with life.

What I ask of you all is that you help us reach this goal: do not strike a killing blow or use lethal force during this time. If an opponent can be captured and jailed, do so. If they are downed, and can be stabilized, do so. We would not ask anyone to not defend themselves, but make all efforts to ensure death does not result. Additionally, make extra efforts to watch over our allies, and ensure that none slip into death. We will provide extra patrols of people who can heal, as well as regular stations where they can be found at all hours. We will provide extra healing items, potions, scrolls and devices to enable those who normally cannot heal or help can do so.

I know I am asking a lot but we have to make the extra effort to ensure our success. We have done more, and worse, as a people to save the world. Can we not do good in order to bring forth a greater good? I know many have already agreed to this task, and know that working together we can do great things.

We have spoken with the Lords of the most of the lands, Knights of the Barony, the Seneschal, Leaders of the Churches of Light, the Druids Conclave, the Mages Guild and multiple private groups, such as the Winged Victory and the Blood Spirits, and while none are ordered to comply or participate these groups are attempting to cooperate to make this task viable. I hope the rest of you will consider joining as well.

I will be happy to discuss this further with anyone who needs more information, and hope you will all join us in this great task.

In Gaia’s Name

Gothi Caldor

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Terzak (TheArchMage), Sannyiah Amarie Na (Syn), Ephrem (bamore62)
  • Not An Assassin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I'm not a man fighting against monsters, I'm a monster fighting against the world as it reclaims itself.
  • Thank Yous: 344
20 Apr 2017 10:10 #2 by Not An Assassin (Salem)
Replied by Not An Assassin (Salem) on topic A Day of Life
My friend,
Such a shame, considering that death is a bit of a specialty of mine. However, I am not at a loss. A day of not killing has been done by the likes of myself many times for no real reasons. Alas, now we do have a reason, and the words of a good man to respect. As a man of death, I vow to take your request seriously, and with it promise to you; No death shall be caused by myself between the midnight hours from Saturday to Sunday this coming week's end.

I tend to keep my promises.

Mortem Mors-ad,
Justé Noire

Salem Noire, Lieutenant Commander of the Blood Spirits

Lieutenant Leon Drekken of House Zezima

OOG-Reece Belmont
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ephrem (bamore62)
  • Orion
  • The faster you run, the faster I'll catch you.
  • Thank Yous: 21
20 Apr 2017 13:15 #3 by Orion (Orion.)
Replied by Orion (Orion.) on topic A Day of Life
This devotion is a perversion of nature. Beasts must eat and plants must feed the soil.

Your efforts may draw attention that you do not seek.

Orion Cahl
Wayfinder

===========================================
OOG: Kevin Downing
  • Ephrem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Lux et lex, fiat iustitia.
  • Thank Yous: 364
20 Apr 2017 14:00 #4 by Ephrem (bamore62)
Replied by Ephrem (bamore62) on topic A Day of Life
Orion,
Yes, it would be a perversion of nature to force beasts and plants not to feed. You and I, however, are neither beast nor plant and can fast from killing for one day at least.
All the clergy are seeking the attention of the gods. So far Galmachis and Galladel have indeed responded in the affirmative to the quest to restore the shattered pieces of Eodras. We need the input of all the gods in order to continue. This Day of Life is a thrust in by the clergy of Gaia to seek her response. It is no perversion. As sure as Galmachis and Galladel, disparate gods of dark and light, are willing to come together in agreement, so too we need to know the will of the entire pantheon on this issue. Supporting this effort for the short duration of one day will result in an increase for the common good for the long duration of all eternity.
Maybe you did not know the reasons for the good Gothi's unusual devotion; that I do not know. Maybe you spoke out rightfully - from your perspective - without full knowledge. Consider again support for this effort.

Yours in sincerity,
Father Ephrem of the Holy Light

Father Ephrem
Primus of the Church of Light in Travance
the Heart of Valos

OOG: Bryan Amore
  • Orion
  • The faster you run, the faster I'll catch you.
  • Thank Yous: 21
20 Apr 2017 14:35 #5 by Orion (Orion.)
Replied by Orion (Orion.) on topic A Day of Life
Father,
I in no way wish to prevent the healing of Eodras. Those who know me, know that I have had a hand in its restoration. Gothi Caldor is a man I greatly respect, though I fear he may have lost respect for me. I am merely surprised that those who would protect the world, druids and the like, would agree to such an act. I do not see this as an act of good, but a desperate plea to reach out to the goddess. He says it is an act beyond the normal; indeed it is unnatural.
I do not intend to interrupt this plot.
I do wish to have this deed seen in the proper light.
I truly hope your efforts are not in vain.

Orion Cahl
Wayfinder

===========================================
OOG: Kevin Downing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ephrem (bamore62)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
20 Apr 2017 15:16 - 20 Apr 2017 15:17 #6 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic A Day of Life
*******Not Caelvan*******

Father Ephrem,

I believe the Muqad was referring to "our goal is to have nothing die. No plant, nor animal, nor person, nor monster."

This does not sound like it pertains to just things we cause. This sounds like everything.

Another concern the Muqad brought up was a valid one. How do you know this will not have the opposite effect and summon Death himself?

If the goal is to get either Galmachis or Gaia's attention then if this plan goes through it'll most likely do that.

I've already given Caldor my statements and concerns on this matter and feel no need to echo them here.

Modem Mors ad
Z'Hade Enam Tazam

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 20 Apr 2017 15:17 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
20 Apr 2017 19:26 #7 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic A Day of Life
I shall say this: we do not control the beasts or the plants. Nor will we force anything to act as it will not. We only strive to act as we can to present the day of life. To control our actions, and strive to intervene to save those we can.
We must do beyond the natural to call the Goddess. We must act above and beyond. That is what Galladel told us. The goal here is for us as a people to promote and preserve life for one day in her name.

This is not to restore Eodra, but another more dangerous task for which we need the gods direct involvement. If calling to the Goddess through this plan costs me your respect, then it is a small price to pay.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • Ephrem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Lux et lex, fiat iustitia.
  • Thank Yous: 364
20 Apr 2017 20:37 #8 by Ephrem (bamore62)
Replied by Ephrem (bamore62) on topic A Day of Life
Apologies to Caldor and Orion,
It seems I have mixed up quests. What the good Gothi says is true, this is indeed a different task from the one I had mentioned. I rightly stand corrected.

Orion,
You have brought up valid concerns. To contribute to the discussion and show all aspects of something such as this endeavor is right and just to do. I do agree that attracting the attention of the wrong powers is a risk, however it might be a risk well taken. Also, Galmachis himself has affirmed the need for the end result. While good ends do not justify evil means, with full respect to you, I would ask to consider this argument on behalf of Caldor:
I do not reason this act to be unnatural. There are times when even the beasts refrain from hunting - while in Bedouin lands I recall a desert ranger describing how predators refrain from hunting while sharing small, depleting watering holes with their prey when water is scarce. Even I (and some farmers and shepherds) refrain from eating any meat from mid winter until the Day of the Sun after the first full moon of spring - a time of late winter when the animals should be breeding and humans refrain from slaughtering animals for food. So I would propose that this is not so much unnatural as much as unusual (and perhaps extreme), as there are indeed times in which even the beasts naturally refrain from killing.

Z'had Enim Merikh Tazam,
You also have valid questions and concerns; expressing your concerns adds to the Common Good. Sincere thanks.

Caldor,
I am in full support of your endeavor. Let me know if there is any way to aid you further than what you have requested. I hope and pray to Valos, though, that I am not in a situation where I am forced to take a life in order to protect and defend the innocent; I would have to favor the innocent in all cases and would hope that there would be an alternative to taking a life. Hopefully the gods themselves will watch over this task and Valos will guide my hand if such a situation arises.

Father Ephrem

Father Ephrem
Primus of the Church of Light in Travance
the Heart of Valos

OOG: Bryan Amore
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.520 seconds