Information on Golems wanted

• Liighkaa Potrevski
  • "Liighkaa, do not make friends." -Darius, every time Liighkaa starts waving to a monster
  • Thank Yous: 33
24 Jul 2017 18:23 #1 by Liighkaa Potrevski (Liighkaa)
Information on Golems wanted was created by Liighkaa Potrevski (Liighkaa)
I am seeking any information that can be given on golems, due to a promise I have made to a friend.
I know very little about their construction or limitations, or how they are controlled. I do know that Doctor Heimdell made several, before he died, so that he and his children might be able to speak to Icarus, and I know that she was sent to a different timeline where she would have no access to organic life; I know therefore that, at least in the hands of such a master as this, it is possible to wield a golem across timelines and planes.
What limitations are there on the makings and the wieldings of golems? How can they be used? Have they ever been used as prosthetics for the severely physically impaired? Are they inhabited by their owner, or simply used in the manner of a puppet?

I would like to learn all I possibly can. If anyone has knowledge that I may ask questions to, I would love to communicate by missive, or here, or at one of the upcoming feasts.

Many thanks.

~Liighkaa Potrevski, daughter of tribe Berk

OOG: Cat Jackson
  • Tim P
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 379
25 Jul 2017 09:43 #2 by Tim P (OrganicGolem)
Replied by Tim P (OrganicGolem) on topic Information on Golems wanted
Liighkaa,
I believe I can shed as much light as any on the topic. To answer your immediate questions:

I have in fact placed someone who would have died into the body of a golem once. He was intolerant to my herbal remedies, and in an act of desperation I placed what remained of my dear friend into a golem so he could live on. Sadly, and this does seem to be the trend, he could not abide living as such and allowed himself to expire. I think your idea is quite good, and would love your assistance in testing its legitimacy if you wish to assist me.
The art of golemcrafting as passed through the ages by initial writings details their use explicetly for their owner owing to the dangers involved. If one leaves an unattended golem, their conditioning quickly deteriorates without constant repair and they tend to attack anyone on sight (as mine unfortunately did just a few moons ago).

I would be more than happy to continue corresponding by quill, or meet with you in person next feast.

Yours in the occult,

[hr]
-Tim P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Liighkaa Potrevski (Liighkaa)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
25 Jul 2017 10:13 #3 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic Information on Golems wanted
Liighkaa,

I do not know much about golems, but I do know that they are an Occult alchemical discipline. In addition to following up with master Flamel here, I would additionally suggest you speak with our Lord Rudolf on the matter. He may be able to point you in the direction of other Golem masters.

Mr. Flamel,

My respects to your Craft, I thank you for answering [strike]my[/strike] [strike]d[/strike] [strike]frien[/strike] Liighkaa's inquiry, and hope that the two of you are able to discover something wondrous in your pursuits.

--Mantel Warrane

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liighkaa Potrevski (Liighkaa)
  • Liighkaa Potrevski
  • "Liighkaa, do not make friends." -Darius, every time Liighkaa starts waving to a monster
25 Jul 2017 11:06 #4 by Liighkaa Potrevski (Liighkaa)
Replied by Liighkaa Potrevski (Liighkaa) on topic Information on Golems wanted
Thanks to both of you, gentlemen, for your quick response. I will speak to Lord Rudolf on the matter, and will be delighted to speak to you, Collin Flamel, on the situation.
I'm somewhat dismayed to hear that life within a golem is usually so insufferable, but perhaps in some way the problem could be worked around or adjusted to our specific needs. I would love to do experiments with you.
What kinds of repairs must be done on a golem? Is this something only an alchemist can possibly do?
The friend in question was the painted woman, Faruin Detoskay. Perhaps if her paints could be incorporated into the golem, she could be granted direct control and capacity for maintenance. My friend Grigori suggested also the idea that a landscape could be painted on the flesh of the golem itself, a continuation of the painting she currently lives in; that way she would have a mobile home, with which she could potentially interact with the world. However, I doubt she would countenance the risk that her construct might bring harm to others, especially not after the events of this last Feast.

• Aria
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 215
25 Jul 2017 11:23 #5 by Aria (Aria)
Replied by Aria (Aria) on topic Information on Golems wanted
I am hesitant if not insistent to go no further with these paints. Currently they are not acting as they did but to experiment further risks them spreading should they "waken" up again. I apologize about helping your friend but I promise the ladies are happy where they are.

Dame Tari Zhafirah Stonebar Deldragon of the Order of the Sagewardens
Dean of Arcane Studies of the Darkwood Acadamy of the Metaphysical Arts

Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure....
  • Liighkaa Potrevski
25 Jul 2017 11:34 #6 by Liighkaa Potrevski (Liighkaa)
Madam, I do not understand your concern. Perhaps these paints will awaken, but they are liable to do so anyway, without our meddling and without the painted people to help us; and besides, they are among the most benign creatures I have seen in Travance, including most of its denizens, even at their worst. I will, nonetheless, hear you if you are concerned; perhaps your concerns do have merit, that I simply do not see at the moment due to the energy of my curiosity.
I will not abandon my thoughts, however. I promised the Paint Lady that I would help her contact the rest of the world. She told me that she knew she would be happy, but I saw also the thrill and joy in her eyes at the mere thought that she might again be able to speak to people, move in our world, hear news and stories and make friends. We have many things that we have yet to discuss; I wish to know of her family and her time, and I wish to tell her of mine.
Due to my respect for her, know also that I will take the utmost care with any experiments that are done. The Paint Lady abhors the idea that her paints might cause harm, and if I were to instigate another swarm of them, I would bear all of the guilt of her displeasure.

• Aria
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 215
25 Jul 2017 12:31 #7 by Aria (Aria)
Replied by Aria (Aria) on topic Information on Golems wanted
The paint is currently benign and in a safe place. Should it choose to wake up I will be first to deal with it, but many in this town have taken great pains to ensure that does not happen. I apologize that you did not get more time with your friend but I am telling you now, that these paints began to have issue by being experimented with. You are asking to fool with things you do not fully understand. Should these paints "awaken" you taking full responsibility for that, does absolutely nothing to save the town or any danger that may befall them. You wish to continue to hold a relationship with the lady find another way that does not involve the paint. The remainder of what is town will do nothing to help you, as for the rest. It has been removed from town and will stay that way

Dame Tari Zhafirah Stonebar Deldragon of the Order of the Sagewardens
Dean of Arcane Studies of the Darkwood Acadamy of the Metaphysical Arts

Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure....
  • Tim P
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 379
25 Jul 2017 14:40 #8 by Tim P (OrganicGolem)
Replied by Tim P (OrganicGolem) on topic Information on Golems wanted
Can't say I know much about what you're referring to. Literal paint people sounds like another thing entirely. If you still want to pursue this, why don't you send me a private letter detailing exactly what the situation is.

[hr]
-Tim P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
25 Jul 2017 16:07 #9 by Erik Silverfang (ASchleicher)
Replied by Erik Silverfang (ASchleicher) on topic Information on Golems wanted
Collin,

I am not sure if we have met in the proper yet but I was wondering if we can sit down at some point and discuss a few approaches on golems. I am hoping to continue down my path of alchemy and learn as much as possible. Perhaps we can sit down and discuss alchemy at some point in the future.

Yoska

ig: Erik Silverfang
Captain of the Royal Guard

alt: Yoska Yahtzi
OOG: Alex Schleicher
  • Liighkaa Potrevski
26 Jul 2017 01:30 #10 by Liighkaa Potrevski (Liighkaa)
Collin, expect to hear from me soon. It may take a day for me to gather my thoughts and explain the events of the last feast as they transpired, and why I believe a golem may be of use to my friend.
Aria, you misunderstand one small point: not that I WILL bear the blame if I do these experiments and if they cause harm, but that I WOULD bear the blame for running experiments that would cause harm, and that such awful potential will prevent me from ever crossing a line of danger. That blame is not a risk I am willing to take. This risk will not dissuade me from pursuing the thought, however. What idea is so dangerous that it must not be pursued within the confines of the skull? The more something is contemplated, researched, and brought closer to understanding, the more the dangers steadily dissolve, provided they are in a sound mind grounded in a proper fear of consequences. Death is of little consequence to me, but bringing such pain to my dear friend the paint lady is too great a consequence to bear. I shall continue with this pursuit, with thanks for your warning on the dangers of meddling with the arcane paints.

• Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
26 Jul 2017 01:44 #11 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic Information on Golems wanted
Liighkaa,

There are indeed some ideas that cannot even be entertained.

Expect a missive.

--Mantel Warrane

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terzak (TheArchMage)
26 Jul 2017 14:59 #12 by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes)
Replied by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes) on topic Information on Golems wanted
Master Flamel,

Should you find yourself some spare time, and indeed, be willing, I should very much like to speak to you upon the topic of golems. I am still learning the path of the Occultic arts, vis-a-vis, alchemy, but the concept of golems has thus far greatly intrigued me. I am sure that if you were to make your way to the proper, you would no doubt be veritably inundated with questions and demands upon your time. As such, I should be most humbly grateful to correspond with you upon the topic. I had one or two somewhat nonstandard ideas on the application of golem crafting, and would appreciate your learned opinion on them.

In science and progress,
Dr. Nigel Whitworth

"What do you take me for? Some kind of big damn hero?"
Sergei Petsho, Voivode and Steward of Inovar, Owner and Masseur Extraordinaire of Magic Hands Massage.

"What, it's for my research, I swear!"
Nigel Whitworth, Gentleman Apothecary

"Here, kid, suck on this and shut up for a while."
Aengus MacAengus Hesperus, Professional Old Person

OOG: Chris Zipeto
Storyteller
  • Liighkaa Potrevski
26 Jul 2017 15:12 #13 by Liighkaa Potrevski (Liighkaa)
Doctor Nigel! I remember you, I think! Were you the man who I spoke with about Londwyian legal philosophy? Are you not also the man who can make things out of blood? Have you yet slept? Are you going to make a blood golem? Might I see the blood golem?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j), Ergos (arieslink)
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
26 Jul 2017 18:12 #14 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Information on Golems wanted
For what it is worth, it is well known that the Bank of Travance has many levels of defense.
Having been Exchequer, I can attest to there being two extremely powerful old school Golems as part of its defensive system. As I imparted the knowledge of these particular two to His Grace when I emplaced them, either he or myself can provide some information to you on the matter. With his signed permission I will speak to you concerning this.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Liighkaa Potrevski
26 Jul 2017 18:46 #15 by Liighkaa Potrevski (Liighkaa)
Master Haroldson, I am endlessly grateful for such an offer for as renowned a mage and scholar as yourself.

Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.590 seconds