What Are Some Celebrations/Holidays for October?

• Blackfarrow
  • "My name is Death, and the end is near."
  • Thank Yous: 28
04 Oct 2017 11:55 #1 by Blackfarrow (Roman64)
What Are Some Celebrations/Holidays for October? was created by Blackfarrow (Roman64)
I'm still fairly new to Travance and have no idea what holidays or celebrations are made in anticipation for the month of October. I've only been made aware of Galladel's Watch, and even then I have no idea what done does for such a holiday. Could anyone please provide me with some context and things that are traditional to do?

Thank you in advance!

Jurian Blackfarrow
Private of the Baronial Guard of Travance

OOG: Isaiah Roa
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
04 Oct 2017 15:08 - 04 Oct 2017 15:30 #2 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic What Are Some Celebrations/Holidays for October?
Jurian,

I've retrieved this summation of the celebration from the Baronial Library's section on Culture. There is a volume in there that has descriptions for many such holidays celebrated in Travance and elsewhere across Arawyn. It seems the description of Galladel's Watch specifically has been temporarily pulled from the shelves, but the Bedouins of Amon'Zod celebrate a similar holiday called Halahj'awen. Here is the catalog card for their tome on Bedouin culture.

For our own traditions, seek out any clergy of Galladel. I recommend Bjorn MacInnes or Sir Seamus Aeslin of Ostcliff, or Huntress Lorelai Von Ritter, as credible sources for what you search for.

--Mantel

The Culture and Life of Amon'Zod

Holidays
Halahj’awen
In the month of October, the tribes of the desert collectively celebrate a triumph over a powerful pharaoh, Jahal al-Vasiq, who once rose from the dead to conquer the sands. To commemorate the ancient victory, the people dress themselves in costumes representing the long dead heroes who drove back undead or dress as the villainous pharaoh and his minions to mock their failure. They place skeletal figures arounds the homes and tents to symbolize the beaten enemy and partake in candied sweets as the great treasures that were saved by Jahal’s defeat.

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
Last edit: 04 Oct 2017 15:30 by Mantel (sigma-j). Reason: staff request
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Midori Suarez (krykit)
04 Oct 2017 21:04 - 04 Oct 2017 21:17 #3 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Replied by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood) on topic What Are Some Celebrations/Holidays for October?
Mantel has already found the detailed description of the general practices of the Amon'Zad desert.

In Khitan they carve pumpkins and other squash/gourds to represent the oni and evil spirits they want to ward away.

The Argentians tend to hand out trinkets to friends and family to protect them from evil or leave them out for the spirits to gather.

From the Mountains of Calisvorn to the Kingdom of Kormyre, there are variants of celebrating the dead with feasts, stories of their lives, and respecting those who have fallen. Also keeping eye on well... the dead and protect them. Perhaps necromancers are not as much of a concern as they used to be, but those who would defile the dead still exist.

Personally, I hold a feast in Vindholm for the Northmen there. The Galladelian Venir tend to the various graveyards and we do a detailed sweep of the Cracked Plains and the mountains to make sure no soul is lost and wandering the wilds.

I could ramble about this time of year all evening though. If I see you at the feast, we can continue to chat if you like?

-Squire Ilana Darkwood

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
Last edit: 04 Oct 2017 21:17 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.468 seconds