Our Friends Under the Mountain

18 Oct 2017 21:09 - 23 Oct 2017 12:22 #1 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Our Friends Under the Mountain was created by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Good day everyone,

I do not know if anyone remembers the dwarves who live beneath the volcano in Pendarvin but they are in trouble. There's creatures that destroy metal (including mithril) and, unfortunately, that's the majority of what the dwarves have to combat them. They're trapped and running out of resources.

Meander helped me with some initial research and I need at least a smith who is willing to craft leather and wooden/crystal armaments to fight these creatures. Other suggestions welcome.

Absolutely no metal.

Also, maybe a druid to help me try and figure out the blight/poison bits she found in the blood.

If you're actually interested, I'll send you a copy of the notes.

Thank you for reading,
Squire Ilana Darkwood

*added at the bottom*
I was not awake enough when I wrote this and forgot to mention: I realize I could make enough psalms of Brazen's prayer to change everything to another material but there is something down there causing power to act strangely (it's explained in a letter I received from him) and while I will be bringing the psalms just in case, I prefer knowing they'll stay the way we need them to.

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
Last edit: 23 Oct 2017 12:22 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood).
  • Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
18 Oct 2017 21:35 #2 by Aleister (Aleister)
The guy I buy my Elementium from?
I can help with work orders.

V. Kainen

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
  • Ferrian Tyrell
  • Risk is the catalyst of progress.
  • Thank Yous: 17
19 Oct 2017 01:05 #3 by Ferrian Tyrell (aBraveMudkip)
Replied by Ferrian Tyrell (aBraveMudkip) on topic Looking for a Smith, Maybe a Druid, and Whomever Wants to Chime In
Mistress Darkwood,

I am neither smith nor druid, but as a man of the wilds, the idea of some beast that damages the natural order of things is an affront to me. I cannot offer much aside from my time, my blade, and my meager druidics, but I will do all I can to provide aid to these dwarves. Contact me if you feel I could be of use.

Yours,
Ferrian Tyrell

OOG-- Liam Pullen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
19 Oct 2017 07:37 #4 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Replied by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood) on topic Looking for a Smith, Maybe a Druid, and Whomever Wants to Chime In
Van,

Yes, Glangill and his people are not faring well. Thank you for your assistance.

---

Thank you Ferrian,

This moon will be a month of preparations, trying to determine about how many people would go so I can have enough armaments made and plan a 'safe' route to travel. Safe is a relative term in this case. I mean more along the lines of not have everyone fall into lava and determine transportation from Travance, Honor's Peak, and back.

I am terrible with names and I may have met you already and I apologize for not recognizing the name, but if you would like speak with me at the feast, we can work on the details there. I generally have a black shield with Galladel's symbol (a gold ring) slung to my back and a Pendarvin tabard (blue and white).

-Squire Ilana Darkwood

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
19 Oct 2017 07:56 #5 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
I suggest crystal weapons and eanged weapons may be the way to go

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
19 Oct 2017 08:21 - 19 Oct 2017 08:23 #6 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Replied by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood) on topic Looking for a Smith, Maybe a Druid, and Whomever Wants to Chime In
As long as the arrows aren't tipped with metal, absolutely.

-Squire Ilana Darkwood

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
Last edit: 19 Oct 2017 08:23 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood).
  • Lokthar
  • Thank Yous: 2
19 Oct 2017 16:30 #7 by Lokthar (Dakota Smedes)
Replied by Lokthar (Dakota Smedes) on topic Looking for a Smith, Maybe a Druid, and Whomever Wants to Chime In
hello,
while still young in the craft I am able to create arms and armaments of the required materials, and I do have a decent amount of crystal I can use, however I won't be able to make it this moon, and if still needed I will gladly assist in anyway I can.

-Lokthar
-(Alt) Morrolan E'Kerion
-(Alt) Molric Ishtvan
(OOG Dakota Smedes)
  • Wren
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 148
19 Oct 2017 20:02 #8 by Wren (Wren)
Ilana,

I'm at your call for any druidic needs you may have. I personally use no metal as well, so I am set for the fight. If you supply me with essences I will make scourge dolls for the assault.

Lets look at the blood together, if they're blight creatures I'm sure the Conclave will mobilize to help.

- Sir Wrenton Revlis of Albriar, The Knight of Wands.
Steward of Sagewood
Headmaster of Darkwood Academy

O.O.G. Adam D. (Marshal)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
20 Oct 2017 00:17 #9 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Ilana,

I would like to offer my assistance to this mission.

For an old friend,

--Mantel

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
23 Oct 2017 12:28 #10 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Replied by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
Hello everyone,

I am requesting aid in helping allies of the Proper. Glangill and his dwarves live deep underground under Honor's Peak and they are being assaulted by a new kind of creature. They are trapped and running out of resources.

For reference of whom I am speaking of, Glangill showed up in Travance Proper a few years ago with stories of a cult, a Fire Elemental Lord, and a door made out of Elementium in the Honor's Peak volcano and some folks in town assisted and sometimes he trades Elementium to people on the surface here.

The creatures they are being assaulted by are able to destroy metal (including mithril) but not other materials according to research conducted by Meander Correlis. For example, if you wield any kind of blunt weapon, simply wrapping it up in leather would protect the armament from damage. Edged weapons I have considered simply replacing for the venture but if anyone has a better idea, please present it.

Not required, but I would like a few of each:

-Anyone willing to help scout and track the creatures to get a better idea of where to find Glangill or find the source of the creatures to start clearing them out.

-People who can avoid hazards in caves (especially help look for weakpoints around lava so no one falls in) Being light on your feet would probably help.

-A druid or ranger who would be willing to help me examine the mild blight qualities to the sample of these creatures we have (Or, perhaps we can hunt for another one before truly beginning our trip into the caverns.)

-People willing to test themselves against a brand new creature and go on an adventure.

Please, send me a message as soon as you are able so I can give you instructions on where to head in Honor's Peak to start if you are not headed to Arkovnia or I will get you there myself if you will be attending the Winterdark Ball (I plan on visiting Arkovnia to assist with research in the matter). I believe by the time we have everyone assembled and equipment prepared, it will be the Friday night of November feast but we will be in Honor's Peak. I will work on getting us passage back to Travance through portal or other means if you're offended by magic after we are done (there are a few Templars who may help).

Thank you all for your time and be well,

Squire Ilana Darkwood

(OOG: This is partly being done between feasts as plot actions for the marshal. There will be mods immediately at lay-on of the November 10th-12th event for those who are interested in participating in the actual encounter (you do not need to be available for the mod if you want to help others prepare for it) Please coordinate with me directly here on the forums or through Facebook.)

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
23 Oct 2017 12:54 - 23 Oct 2017 12:54 #11 by Khala Stormbringer (Jymme)
Replied by Khala Stormbringer (Jymme) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
While I'm positive Wren will fulfill all your druidic needs, I was wondering if he might be okay with me accompanying him so I can continue to learn and increase my knowledge of things of that nature.

~Khala

Main Character: Khala Stormbringer
Alt: Keladry Aybara

OOG: JymmeAnne Walton
Last edit: 23 Oct 2017 12:54 by Khala Stormbringer (Jymme).
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
23 Oct 2017 13:09 - 23 Oct 2017 13:21 #12 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
I will still be focusing on the recovery in Arnwuhl, but I will make time to aid how I can using my civil service, and will try to be present for the expedition itself.

I would suggest anyone willing to donate to this cause look for an illuminationist to create psalms of Change Composition. Changing Metallic edged weapons to Crystalline edged weapons is within the realm of possibility. I will also attempt researching into potential engineering solutions that will protect the metal of an edged weapon without damaging the cutting edge. I request aid of any available smiths to aid in that endeavor.

If any further weaknesses exhibited by these creatures are revealed, please do tell. Perhaps this association with Blight could be relevant to that end.

--Mantel

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
Last edit: 23 Oct 2017 13:21 by Mantel (sigma-j).
23 Oct 2017 14:07 #13 by Erik Silverfang (ASchleicher)
Replied by Erik Silverfang (ASchleicher) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
While I own metal weapons I can say they are not necessary for me to fight. I will help you Ilana.

Erik

ig: Erik Silverfang
Captain of the Royal Guard

alt: Yoska Yahtzi
OOG: Alex Schleicher
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
23 Oct 2017 15:16 #14 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
Ilana,

This Priest of Brazen and Ranger more than willing to help. I will speak with ye at the Ball about this.

-Duncan

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
23 Oct 2017 15:21 #15 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
Chaplain,

Something needing a kicking?

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
  • Berek Orino
  • People who are crazy enough to believe they can change the world are the ones that do.
  • Thank Yous: 15
23 Oct 2017 15:48 #16 by Berek Orino (Andrew609)
Replied by Berek Orino (Andrew609) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
I am pretty good at smithing and if anyone wants me to make a crystal weapon I could be sitting at the forge waiting if needed.

Berek

Berek Orino
Vice Exchequer of Travance
Assistant Quartermaster of Travance

OOG -- Andrew Cook
23 Oct 2017 17:17 - 23 Oct 2017 17:33 #17 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Replied by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
Questions asked: Will something alloyed with crystal be affected?
Answer: No idea honestly. Currently we do not have enough blood to test. I'd go with better safe than sorry.

Things we know about the creatures:
-The creatures are animal-like and made of metal (we do not know why their blood does not affect them)
Maybe this means lightning would be more effective against them?

-They appeared shortly after 'the zones of "nothingness" disappeared' (I believe this is 'After the Null were defeated')
Their condition is a mutation or some kind of evolutionary trait. I am a bit worried Wyrd stones might be involved as I know they can cause mutations in creatures.

-Researching the alchemical properties of the blood proved it is not alchemical in nature, but it may be a useful component in creating acid bombs.

-There are blight and poison traits combined in the blood that allow it to corrode metal. Since we know nothing else about the creatures, we're unsure why this does not affect them. This blood is strong enough to warp mithril.

-The blood does not interact in any way with non-metallic compounds. So anything protected by such (or, if they'll work, changed to the correct composition with Brazen's aid) will not be affected.

Other notes:
-Gates currently are not working well down there (he was only able to send me a letter with the blood used as ink and is unable to send anything currently because it will take too much effort away from him protecting his home with his barrier). They are being dampened by something unknown. However, I was able to reach out with a psionic crystal to Glangill and received a bit of information on where to find him though his response was very short. (This is my partial concern if magic/divine/other powers will work as effectively down there.)
-We're sure that the gates are being dampened by something else and not whatever these metallic creatures are.

-Squire Ilana Darkwood

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
Last edit: 23 Oct 2017 17:33 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood).
The following user(s) said Thank You: geezer (geezer), Mantel (sigma-j), Ferrian Tyrell (aBraveMudkip)
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
23 Oct 2017 19:25 - 24 Oct 2017 17:02 #18 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
Let me try to reestablish contact with Dougal McMutton and see what he knows

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
Last edit: 24 Oct 2017 17:02 by geezer (geezer).
  • Grashügel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Safety Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 241
23 Oct 2017 20:46 #19 by Grashügel (HAZMAT221)
Replied by Grashügel (HAZMAT221) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
I will be away, however, I can offer illuminations that will benefit your cause and have them delivered on my behalf....I wish you all the best.

Taylor Meise
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
23 Oct 2017 21:25 #20 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
Thinking fast, I can suggest that taking those divine scrolls of Protect Armamanet which is under the War Domain might be useful. any other ways to enhance the durability of weapons?

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
23 Oct 2017 23:43 #21 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
Ilana,
I'm away during the month but will be there closer to feast to assist. As a Huntsman it is my job to know about many kinds of Blights so I may be of some assistance there.

The hunt goes on,

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
24 Oct 2017 02:47 - 24 Oct 2017 02:54 #22 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
Something else to look into: are Tempered armaments additionally still susceptible to the destruction?

--MW

PS. Their metallic flesh is obviously immune to this effect, even if we don't know why, we should engage in research to find out why and attempt harnessing the power of that material. An option we may look into is seeing if Changing Composition into or alloying our weapons with it will be beneficial.

P.P.S. Ironwood is actually useful for once.

P.P.P.S. For those of us who are unoffended by the use of the Weave, Enchanters are capable of the spell of Protect Item.

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

Last edit: 24 Oct 2017 02:54 by Mantel (sigma-j).
  • Angry
  • Thank Yous: 131
24 Oct 2017 02:58 #23 by Angry (Angryman86)
Replied by Angry (Angryman86) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
Having a Smith temper a blade might offer some protection. I would not count on this soley. If non metal objects are not affected, I suggest sticking along with them. Crystal is easy enough to acquire and for many young smiths to fashion into a decent blade. While a combination of materials was not exactly tested, I suggest to stay away from blades that contain a metal as I can only assume that it too will corrode. If you desire a very elaborate blade to fight in this fight I suggest a crystal sword with either a wytchwood or ironwood core. But be prepared to pay for such elaborate things. My honest suggestion is stick with high quality crystal blades and big sticks. Or be prepared to buy bulk blades to replace when they are inevitably destroyed.

In Service to the Barony,

Father Angrin McCoy, Baronial Quartermaster
  • Angry
  • Thank Yous: 131
24 Oct 2017 06:38 #24 by Angry (Angryman86)
Replied by Angry (Angryman86) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
Change composition is a good idea as well, however it is rather taxing on a priest, I know I could only cast it a handful or 2 before I've exhausted my ability. Protect spells or prayers might also provide assistance but once again I suggest that not be your trump card as they can get pricy quickly and if crystal was used in the item's creation it will not hold.

Also Mantel ironwood is very useful just applied in areas or ways overlooked.

In Service,

Father Angrin McCoy, Baronial Quartermaster
25 Oct 2017 23:12 #25 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
We'll be testing to see if prayers work. Currently we will be having a few scouts helping determine a good route for us to travel through after the Winterdark visit.

Thank you for your suggestions so far everyone.

If anyone else is interested in the incursion, please let me know by the time the Ball happens so I know where to send you or know if I need to pick you up somewhere along the way.

-Squire Ilana Darkwood

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
27 Oct 2017 21:02 #26 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
Have you tried to contact the Morlans who settled in the caverns under Pendarvin?

They may be willing to help

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
29 Oct 2017 14:51 #27 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Lady Weaveforger,

The Morlans are doing well but are a bit difficult to reach on short notice (letters are slow the further one moves into the mountain range.) However, I am unsure they would do well with lava and the dry as they are usually in the cooler portions of the underground.

Thank you for checking in though.

-Squire Darkwood

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Silverfang (ASchleicher), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Ephrem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Lux et lex, fiat iustitia.
  • Thank Yous: 364
29 Oct 2017 18:53 #28 by Ephrem (bamore62)
Replied by Ephrem (bamore62) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
Ilana,
If any of our friends under the mountain need a place of refuge, the Church of Light Mission in Alomialonde in the mountains is up and running for shelter and a warm meal.
Father Ephrem.

Father Ephrem
Primus of the Church of Light in Travance
the Heart of Valos

OOG: Bryan Amore
08 Nov 2017 20:25 #29 by Tyler Howie (Naspoiden)
Replied by Tyler Howie (Naspoiden) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
Has anyone considered trying to use antidotes in some way seeing as their blood has poisonous traits, perhaps in combination with druidic power.
-Tim Valgrin, The Honest Merchant

(Tyler Howie)
  • Berek Orino
  • People who are crazy enough to believe they can change the world are the ones that do.
  • Thank Yous: 15
08 Nov 2017 20:37 #30 by Berek Orino (Andrew609)
Replied by Berek Orino (Andrew609) on topic Our Friends Under the Mountain
As an idea for the people that wear armor put a leather or cloth gambeson over the metal parts. It may help protect your armor.

Berek

Berek Orino
Vice Exchequer of Travance
Assistant Quartermaster of Travance

OOG -- Andrew Cook
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.734 seconds