To the Perfect Homunculus, Eden

13 May 2018 16:59 #1 by Captain Jackdaw (Captain Jackdaw)
To the Perfect Homunculus, Eden was created by Captain Jackdaw (Captain Jackdaw)
Dearest Eden,

I write to offer my thanks, and my sympathies on your current predicament. I had wanted to offer these sentiments in person, but well… it seems like going forward every time I see you you’ll be trying to end all mortal life on Arawyn, and the town will be attempting to strike you repeatedly with all manner of blunt and bladed instruments. Hardly an ideal scenario for a civil conversation. Thus do I post my letter here where I’m sure you’ll see it. The rest of the town shall see it as well, but hey, maybe it’ll change their perspective on you, if not their intentions.

First, my apologies and sympathies. You once observed that you and I are alike. This is not inaccurate. We were both created by brilliant men who had such plans and desires for us, men whom we, in the end saw for what they were, and though respected them, we turned. In fact the largest difference between you and I would wager is you are perfect, and I am not. And for this, I am truly sorry, specifically I am sorry for you. For this world is imperfect, and it does not abide perfection. This world is not for you, and you know it.

Recent events have confirmed my long held suspicion of you, and your feelings toward mortalkind. I sometimes imagine what it must be like for you, living in a world full of beings so different from you, I imagine it’d be akin to living in a world of undead, or constructs. Lesser beings, that you can never truly empathize with because they can never ever be like you. I imagine this is why you consume your family, it’s easier than watching as one by one they become less like you and more like the imperfect beings that surround you. And now that none of your family is willing to stand with you, that sting must be all the greater. I wager there are very few in this town who if they were in your shoes and had the power to change the world, would stay their hand.

However, and again, my heart breaks for you over this, you very obviously can’t win. You can’t make a flawless diamond ring with a flawed diamond no matter how much you polish it. Oh sure, you can make us homunculi but we’d still be us. It won’t be a perfect world, it won’t be your world. Wipe us all out and replace us, and the world would still fight you. You’d have to completely destroy everything and start again to get there. Which I believe you could, with time, effort, investment, and more power, actually accomplish. Except… well… you are a product of this imperfect world. Imperfect hands made you. You’re close enough to perfection that I bet whatever world you created would be perfect, but you… you unfortunately still have a bit of human in you. You can try and deny it but every great artist puts themselves in their work in little ways, and 0.02% imperfection is still imperfection. So, too perfect for this world, too imperfect for whatever world you might create, and the worst part is you can’t do anything about it. You can’t give up, you can’t change your plans. Little adjustments, sure, but scrapping the whole thing would mean admitting you made a mistake, and you can’t admit you made a mistake, because you’re perfect. You’re trapped in this tragedy, forever, or until someone destroys you. And for that, I offer my legitimate and genuine heartfelt sympathies.

Sympathies are not all I offer, there is in fact a ray of hope. I, instead offer my thanks. You have a particular way of getting under my skin, getting under a lot of peoples skin really. You’ve been cunning, and pushed our buttons, and gotten me to push myself well beyond the limits I had set. Thanks to you, I’ve delved into personal spaces I hadn’t thought about, and I’m not scared of what I might do now. As thanks, for what you have taught me, I make this offer. To save you from this terrible cycle. I will be playing our game to the hilt. I will combine my efforts with this town and together we will dismantle everything you’ve built, destroy all of your plans, save every member of your family, and finally when you are all that’s left, give you the finale you deserve. After all, you would do the same, I’m sure. And anything less would be a disrespect to your power as an enemy, and the threat you pose.

So thank you, and again, I am sorry. Take heart though, we’re coming up on the end of this, and I'll see you on the other side.

Regards,
Jackdaw, Captain of the Winged Victory.

Jackdaw
Captain of the Winged Victory
Baronial Ambassador to Coast Haven
Champion of Homunculus City

OOG: Justin M. Whitmore,
Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Magnus (hippy g0th), JTinney (Swordsaint), Imrahil (Brendan Barrett), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Terzak (TheArchMage), Meander Correlis (SarahBrand), Mantel (sigma-j), Ergos (arieslink), Seth (Kurteth), Amelia Rosaria Ornatia (Ashleybolio), Sir Reno Linsaria (HeartofGold)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.480 seconds