Elijah Crowley and the Crown

• Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
27 Aug 2018 12:40 #1 by Aleister (Aleister)
Elijah Crowley and the Crown was created by Aleister (Aleister)
Today I write this notice as a request,

Two nights ago we saved a seemingly inconsequential man at a great price to ourselves. His name is Elijah Crowley. He bears the blood of royalty, enough that would warrant him a chance to be deemed king of Kormyre. Though we have been searching for the rightful heir, or at least one who would serve well, I will admit in my zealousness in supporting Elijah.

There is no guarantee that he will be our king, but I believe he represents everything we, here in Travance, stand for. He represents the same values that Aleric did and it is entirely my hope to garner your support in convincing the Royal Court that he is the rightful heir.

You have every right to disagree with my request and continue to seek out someone you would deem better. I have no support from the Great Council, nor have I even spoken to the Count yet. I have put my faith in him because I believe he can be the kind of king that will lead this kingdom well. As well, for all that was given to save him, I would believe that others feel this way too.

Take time to contemplate your answer. If your belief aligns with mine, let us stand together and sway the kingdom's Court and her allies to support him.

If you do not, keep searching. Find the one worthy of sitting on that throne in Alieander and I will listen to your reasons.

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
27 Aug 2018 12:57 #2 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
I see no reason why his claim is not at least worth investigating. I have spoken with the young man a few times in the past, and I agree with your assessment of his character. I am not familiar with his educational background, but he is young and intelligent enough to be trained in the art of statecraft.

I believe the first thing to do here is to determine exactly where in the line of succession he falls. While we are certain that he is of the Nostrov bloodline, let's be realistic: if the line of succession was clear, we would already have a new king. For example, are either of his parents alive? If so, they automatically have a stronger claim. We need his full lineage.

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meander Correlis (SarahBrand), Ashley-Lynn Chrzaszcz (RavynAeronwen)
27 Aug 2018 14:31 #3 by Moostrav Potrevski ()
Replied by Moostrav Potrevski () on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
To his captors we offered three silver. We have never even heard of the boy until this feast, and find the willingness of others to offer their “lives” appalling.
The lot claims to be heros, but you cannot do so blindly. Those who merely chanted along we would refer to as gullible moreso then any other trait.

This being said, we stand with Aleister in support of the boy Elijah. Yet with dramatically less enthusiasm.

Moostrav Potrevski
1 of the 8 Heads of the Potrevski family

Jacob F.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liz (Liz), Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes)
  • Ebony Hale
  • Go ahead, underestimate me. You will not be the first and you will not be the last... But you will be wrong.
  • Thank Yous: 60
27 Aug 2018 17:34 #4 by Ebony Hale (ChelseaYeats)
Replied by Ebony Hale (ChelseaYeats) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
Moostrav, Elijah has been in town for a few months now, if not longer. I am sorry you have not had the pleasure to meet him or hear of him until this past feast.
I fully support Elijah for King, if he accepts the role, and if no other worthy person is found.

~Ebony Hale-MazoKisei
Knight of Cups of Albriar
Dean of Shamanism at Darkwood Academy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
27 Aug 2018 18:42 - 27 Aug 2018 19:34 #5 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
There is also the family what owns land in Ravenhurst now, yeah? The ones we didn't go to war with.

Are we jotting down possible monarchs on a slate or are we going full-boar behind the only man who could make those spectacles aesthetically pleasing?

--Chet

Last edit: 27 Aug 2018 19:34 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seth (Kurteth)
  • Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
27 Aug 2018 19:04 #6 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
There is no backing to my claim from any form of council or greater authority. I expressly take this stance as my personal belief and will hold it publicly.

No one is beholden to it, no one is required to agree with me. But let me not be the last one to make a public stance on who any one person believes should wear the Crown of this kingdom.

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
27 Aug 2018 21:16 #7 by Moostrav Potrevski ()
Everyone understands the personal nature to your backing. Hence there is question and remark to the decision. We simply include our stature to this matter, with our own reasons to the matter, and pair it with yours. Zealots don't encourage their goals questioned.

Moostrav Potrevski

Jacob F.
  • Chesta
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 134
27 Aug 2018 22:34 #8 by Chesta (Kevin)
Replied by Chesta (Kevin) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
Lord Aleister, while I know next to nothing about this man, or about how the politics of royal succession work, I trust your words more than most. So if you believe this Elijah Crowley to be the best claim for the throne for all, then I will stand by your decision and place what little backing I have to this man. I do this of my own volition, I trust you Aleister.

Chesta Hartwick MazoKisei
29 Aug 2018 01:00 #9 by Victor Wainwright (HanSalva)
Replied by Victor Wainwright (HanSalva) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
While I find it strange for myself to be speaking on such matters, I speak for the character of Elijah Crowley.

I have known Elijah Crowley for a majority of my life and while he is a young man, who he is at the core of his character is a good man. If it is his choice to claim the crown, then I will support him with my life. I died for him, and I will do it again.

He is one of the best men I have ever known. During the Demonic Incursion, he saved my cousin's life, he was 15 at the time, he pulled her out of a burning building, pulled a beam off of her and dragged her out. I have known him for so long from horseback riding to dance lessons, I can tell you he is more than a good man, he is a genuine and kind person.

After we rescued him this past gathering, he went and he thanked as many of you as he could, he spoke to you. He truly listens to everyone he speaks to and is so naturally caring. But do not let his naivety and inexperience, dissuade you from giving him your support. He holds a Northern Londwyn education, and was raised by two very successful people, may their souls rest in peace. They raised him to be a smart, kind and just man. They raised him to be the man that Travance needs.

I wonder if they knew that the boy they adopted was of royal blood, for they raised him to be a gentleman.

I will stand by his side in support of him, I will stand by his side as his friend, and I will give my life for this man because I believe in him, and if you could speak with him, as I have, I know you would support him as well.

If you have any respect for me, I ask that you consider my words; for I speak the truth as I know it to be.

Elijah Crowley is a good man.

Sincerely,
Dr. Victor Fredrick Wainwright

Dr. Victor Wainwright
Steward of Stonefall
OOG: Han/Hana Salvacion (They/them)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seth (Kurteth), Ninnyhammer (Anna Collins), Ashley-Lynn Chrzaszcz (RavynAeronwen)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Aug 2018 02:05 #10 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Anecdotal claims and foregone conclusions do not a good government make. No, this isn't about his supposed northern sensibilities--though I certainly have my hard-formed opinions on them--but the tendency in this place toward apathy or urgency with no middle ground. Two people of far higher respect and renown than me have already suggested rolling up our sleeves and digging into the options.

We might want to listen.

--Chet

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ninnyhammer (Anna Collins)
29 Aug 2018 12:44 #11 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
(OOG Note: While the penmanship is definitely and choice of words is definitely Donald's, the spelling and grammar is not. Its as if someone was standing next to him- likely his wife for those that know her- and giving him spellings. Another possibility is that extreme inebriation makes him more easily understood-the parchment reeks of single malt Highland Whisky, aged approximately 12 years.)

Lord Aleister, Lois, Ebony,

I wish to respectfully ask some questions about how Kormyre handles some of these sorts of things, as I am only familiar with The Highland Way of handling such matters.

1. If he were proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be the best claimant, why would the Royal Court need any more convincing?
2. What is the Royal Court?
3. What is the plan should the Royal Court reject this lad unjustly?
4. Why don't we just put all the challengers in an arena and handle this by tourney?

Father Donald MacFhionnlaigh
Sept MacFhionnlaigh, Clan Farquharson
Blood Spirit
Amethyst Dragoon

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
29 Aug 2018 14:14 #12 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown

Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) wrote: 1. If he were proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be the best claimant, why would the Royal Court need any more convincing?
2. What is the Royal Court?
3. What is the plan should the Royal Court reject this lad unjustly?
4. Why don't we just put all the challengers in an arena and handle this by tourney?

Excellent questions. I will do my best to answer. I'm sure Lord Tartaros will step in if I have incorrect information.

1. They wouldn't need any more convincing. The trouble is with the word "best". There are no direct descendants of the late king, nor are there any members of his immediate family around. When it comes to extended bloodlines, it is not so clear who is closest in line. You're looking at the difference between relations like a thrice-removed nephew and the daughter of a great-grandfather's brother. At levels of removal like that, other noble houses or even someone like the King Regent may have a stronger claim.

Remember also that it is not only blood, but alliances, treaties, and other things of that nature that can determine someone's position in the line. If someone is determined to be the closest blood relative, but an old treaty between their house and another house states that they are to serve this second house, then their position is actually lower in the line that it would initially appear.

I have done portal arithmancy that is less complicated than tracing peerage lines & claims.

2. It is somewhat akin to our Baronial Council, except at a much more powerful level. They are empowered by ancient law to decide if a candidate for sovereign is an appropriate choice, though I do believe it's been a very long time since they've had to do anything except state for the record that the new king is of the former king's direct issue.

3. They are empowered justly, so their decision is just.

4. Because we are not a nation of war-tribes, and acknowledge that the best leaders are not always going to be the ones who are strongest in hand-to-hand combat.

In Service to Travance,
Seneschal Lois Blair-Heimdell

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
29 Aug 2018 15:45 #13 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
Lois,
is this one of those Courts with Courtesans and Ministers, or a legal court of Judges and Barristers? I wish to understand the battlefield we may be required to be on.

-Father Donald

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
29 Aug 2018 22:02 #14 by O. Nesterin (kuemanner)
Replied by O. Nesterin (kuemanner) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
I only knew Mister Crowley for a short time but he seems like a good lad. I back him as well.

Ser Oacenth Nesterin
Knight Advisor of Alisandria
Dragoon of House Melebrine

OOG: Nick Culberson
Player Rep
  • Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
29 Aug 2018 22:09 #15 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
One of ministers, sages, and advisory councils, Donald.
A place where wit is a great tool.

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 Aug 2018 00:14 #16 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Supposing the type of wit matters in case anyone thought like I did for a moment that a chap like me was key to a diplomatic mission. That's alright, I didn't need that whiskey in my mouth.

--Chet

30 Aug 2018 15:47 #17 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
I respectfully counsel caution. Not of young Elijah Crowley, but of this court. My father campaigned under Kristoff Drexel's Banner for thirty years. I heard his stories of these sorts of courts as a small child. Many such courts are masses of intrigues on their own. Travancians, with their strong souls and forceful wills, can stray- by blackmail, hostage, coin or suggestion among other ways. If this has happened to Travancians, we must be forewarned that these ministers and such can be more susceptible. to further our goals, we need to know the court from the inside. know the intrigues there. I have ideas, if any wish to hear them.

-Father Donny

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
  • Kraden Arrav
  • "For the strength of the pack is the wolf, but the strength of the wolf is the pack."
  • Thank Yous: 16
30 Aug 2018 23:08 #18 by Kraden Arrav (Kraden_Arrav)
Replied by Kraden Arrav (Kraden_Arrav) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
I'm intrigued to hear, however my knowledge of the Kormyrian royal bloodline is rather lacking. I'm ignorant in the ways that the higher powers in our world rule, however I'm not ignorant to say as I do not want to learn. I am a simple man, i'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but there is always a time to sit down and learn knowledge. I do not know this Elijah Crowley, but if he is a just man, and can be vouched for, I see not why we cannot give him a chance. However I am interested in where his morals lie, and if his actions may be louder than his words.

《OOG- Craig Carl》
  • Burkhart Jarlson
  • A precious object without the strength to protect it is easily taken. Strength without something to protect is easily wasted.
  • Thank Yous: 107
31 Aug 2018 06:37 #19 by Burkhart Jarlson (steel_enigma)
Replied by Burkhart Jarlson (steel_enigma) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
Moostrav,

It is my understanding that it was not for this young man alone that many sacrificed their lives... and other things... But instead for the contract that would have sealed not only his fate but that of his entire bloodline. Not just that of the king, but possibly everyone who he shares blood with. That could be millions of people. That could be you if his fifth cousin seventeen times removed happened to have a child with your thirteenth great great great great great uncle or something of the like. I do not understand the mekhet or the like, but blood magic is dangerous. Please don't disregard the sacrifice that [strike]we[/strike] others have made for this. Even if it wouldn't have targeted all of those, it saved a bloodline, and possibly a kingdom.

I have only met the young man once, after the ordeal was done. He seems earnest. Young and perhaps naive, but earnest with a kind heart. This is a good quality for a king, but a dangerous one too. If he is put on a throne he will need teaching and guidance, both in being a ruler, and to make sure others don't take advantage of him. Kindness is an admirable trait, but one that can be twisted by those who have their own agendas.

Burkhart

_________________________________________________________________________________
OOG: Josh Leib

Main:
Burkhart Jarlson
Son of the Heargen Clan
Blood of the Dragoons
Shaman of the North

Alt:
Fen the Fun Faun
Musical Satyr
Available for Bars, Parties, Shows, and Personal Concerts
Accepts Gold, Gems, Ale, and kisses from beautiful women (just don't tell my wife)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
31 Aug 2018 16:47 #20 by Moostrav Potrevski ()
Burkhart,

Its not uncommon for people of yours to be misunderstood on the topics of magic. We often find you misunderstood on many things.
A debted man shouldn't talk on the matter or those they owe; we expect full compensation for those materials we handed you, since YOU can no longer make a weapon or provide the equivalent.... there where witnesses to this deal if your memory is misunderstood as it usually is.

Moostrav Potrevski

Jacob F.
  • Zathir
  • He's Zahir, I'm Zathir, our sister Ze'Everywhere, she gets around.
  • Thank Yous: 42
03 Sep 2018 19:22 #21 by Zathir (Clevatus)
Replied by Zathir (Clevatus) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
Lord Tartaros,

As always my support lie undoubtedly with you.

Zathir Ib'n Hatim Al Nawar

-Vassal of Drega'Mire

(OOG-Nathaniel Galloway)
  • Aria
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 215
04 Sep 2018 21:53 #22 by Aria (Aria)
Replied by Aria (Aria) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
I admit that I have not had a chance to meet him, though I have heard a lot of good things. While your endorsement speaks volumes Lord Tartaros I have some questions I need answered before I decide, do you know if there will be an opportunity to speak with him at some point?

Dame Tari Zhafirah Stonebar Deldragon of the Order of the Sagewardens
Dean of Arcane Studies of the Darkwood Acadamy of the Metaphysical Arts

Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure....
09 Sep 2018 17:53 #23 by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby)
Replied by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
The lads head is in the right place. I sense he'll make our investments worthwhile if we place our equity in him.

Signed,

Magistrate of Travance
R. Tzaareth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Verrill Lebastion,
House Elder of House Bastion
Xeno-theologist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OOG: -Ben .H
Monster Marshal
  • Ninnyhammer
  • Life is short and pleasures few and holed the ship and drowned the crew.
  • Thank Yous: 65
20 Sep 2018 14:24 #24 by Ninnyhammer (Anna Collins)
Replied by Ninnyhammer (Anna Collins) on topic Elijah Crowley and the Crown
All I care to say is that if your advocacy for Mr Crowley is born solely of loyalty to the Lord Admiral or a passing friendliness to this newest candidate, I urge you to find further reason. The Lord Admiral indeed inspires loyalty. Mr Crowley is indeed a friendly, virtuous man. I pay neither of them any disrespect. But your support is precious, and it shouldn’t be thrown around in a manner so cavalier. Investigate Mr Crowley’s character and qualifications thoroughly, and behold his promise or his inadequacy for yourself. Exercise your own mind, examine your own heart. Don’t proclaim advocacy for one of the most influential positions in existence over blind fealty or a friendly face.

Lira Ninnyhammer, Baronial Inquisitor

OOG: Anna Collins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liz (Liz), Dennis Brand (Devin), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Seth (Kurteth)
20 Sep 2018 22:05 #25 by Moostrav Potrevski ()
Ninnyhammer,
You are wrong in a few regards, Aleister is not inspiring; he's no different then any man. Then to think the position of the crown matters is futile, people will place their hands to the regards of whomever they seem fit; whomever the lot appoints to the crown, we believe will surly be sub-par at their peak, intelligent often have the key feature of being unintelligent. So as much as your potentially ill placed warnings might try and spread good light, you are only serving to waist peoples time.

To the common man,
Side with whomever you seem fit, know that only the majority matters, and whatever comes out of the cesspool that is the thinking of those you place authority in will only ever allot to the results we put forth to Ninny. We still find it in speculation, of why this decision is being wrapped around blood. Who ever said one with Royal Blood had to be King, why not you?

That being said, we side still with the boy, for our own reasons you disdainfully ask people to outline. Our reason is simple. When someone speaks on your behalf, even in futility, you are to show them some level of gratitude. This is proper.

Moostrav Potrevski

Jacob F.
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.679 seconds