War Effort is Concerning, We Should Meet

• Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
18 Feb 2019 21:20 - 01 Mar 2019 12:51 #1 by Mantel (sigma-j)
War Effort is Concerning, We Should Meet was created by Mantel (sigma-j)
*OOG: the original letter is replaced for those who saw it*

We should meet as a town and discuss the war effort, that we may better coordinate our next moves.

Let us go for 4 Bells, Saturday of the coming Feast, before the second Feast of Blades. In the Inn

I will not be in attendance due to my own war responsibilities but I hope this missive spurs enthusiasm for such an idea in others.

--MW
Muster, 34th Allied Battalion of Cennius the Soulforger

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
Last edit: 01 Mar 2019 12:51 by Mantel (sigma-j). Reason: IG, Mantel replaced the letter; Scribbled location
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terzak (TheArchMage)
  • Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
18 Feb 2019 21:53 #2 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic We're Losing! Let's talk!
Please try to avoid opening your request with panic.
There's no need to incite such worry so early on, nor approach the topic in such a condescending manner.
The war is not lost, we are not losing badly over a few lost battles.

However, your request for a collaborative discussion regarding further plans is not an unreasonable one.
I will make sure to be present so that I can relay any messages to the kingdom and unit commanders.

It would be a very excellent time for anyone to come forward with any resource intensive plans.
That way I can discern the practicality of their application and potential resource requirements needed.

In Service to the Crown,
Warlord Aleister Tartaros

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eden Heimdell (amalthea), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
18 Feb 2019 21:56 #3 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic We're Losing! Let's talk!
Brevity alone will not conjure wit, Monsieur.

~Nalick

• Annora
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • SKRAW!
  • Thank Yous: 316
18 Feb 2019 22:03 #4 by Annora (Karen)
Replied by Annora (Karen) on topic We're Losing! Let's talk!
Unfortunately, with the New Gaaldronian legion so close, I shouldn't leave Prince Illythrias and his battalion for too long.
I might be able to stop by the Proper for a short time on Sunday, if anyone wishes for me to pass plans or troop movement requests along to the Prince.

From the 29th Battalion,
Annora

[hr]
OOG: Karen Y
Card Raptor
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
18 Feb 2019 23:22 #5 by Captain Jackdaw (Captain Jackdaw)
Replied by Captain Jackdaw (Captain Jackdaw) on topic We're Losing! Let's talk!
I will also be in attendance, and while I have been thinking for some time a discussion for how the war is being fought was needed, I tend to agree with Aleister. War's are a very different creature than the kind of conflict the town is used to, and while we are very much not winning, in war that's different than losing.

I think a meeting is a good opportunity to discuss how we can win, (and I promise I have a point if I might digress for a minute.) I think the biggest problem Travance has is that it seems like to date a lot of our strategy has been built around fighting in ways that have in the past frequently lead to victory. I don't think anyone would deny that we are used to fighting the enemy, a lot of us expect them to come for us (they usually do) and if not we find ways to go to them. Really this isn't unexpected, or an issue, we just have to start looking at it a little sideways. You don't win a war by fighting it, you win a war by making the other side not want to fight it.

You can't chase someone with an army, and our enemy very clearly doesn't have any intention of direct engagement if they can help it. (which lets face it is smart, have you met us?) The enemy has their priority targets, and are gunning for them. We need to figure out what we can't lose, and how to defend those spots, what we want to win, and how we can get those. If you run into the enemy along the way, find a way to beat them, but never take your eyes off the goal.

Right now it seems like the goal in a number of cases is "fight the bad person." but we need a few more goals, so hopefully people come to this meeting with a few in mind, and if they don't show up with them, hopefully they'll at least leave with them.

(It's also a good opportunity to give your war resources to the people who will commit them to the effort without having to chase them down all feast.)

Jackdaw
Captain of the Winged Victory
Baronial Ambassador to Coast Haven
Champion of Homunculus City

OOG: Justin M. Whitmore,
Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Annora (Karen), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
18 Feb 2019 23:29 #6 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic We're Losing! Let's talk!
Apologies, Your Lordship, simply returning to the populus what I received when pitching such an idea with a measured tongue last Feast. I hoped the message was clearer this time.

--MW

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
  • Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
18 Feb 2019 23:40 #7 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic We're Losing! Let's talk!
Certainly a written notice to request such a meeting is often more effective.
Your idea is sound, and all are encouraged to participate.
Allies are more often won over when treated with respect before curtness!
We will find ourselves far more willing to support each other when we all share in that respect for one another.

I look forward to hearing the strategies put forth.
As well, I am requesting a scribe be present to help take notes for me and offering a payment of 50 gold for what will assuredly be an important service.

Warlord Aleister Tartaros

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Annora (Karen), Terzak (TheArchMage), Mantel (sigma-j)
19 Feb 2019 17:13 - 18 Dec 2019 13:14 #8 by Eden Heimdell (amalthea)
Replied by Eden Heimdell (amalthea) on topic We're Losing! Let's talk!
I hope to be present this coming feast, and would very much like to participate in such discussions.
~Amalthea

Eden Heimdell
Vassal of Albriar

OOG Lauren F.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2019 13:14 by Eden Heimdell (amalthea).
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
19 Feb 2019 20:09 #9 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic War Effort is Concerning, We Should Meet
Lord Aleister,

You are right. I've turned a new leaf on this thread. Thank you for receiving my concern and tempering it.

--Mantel

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

• Cobus Puren
  • Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile...
  • Thank Yous: 48
19 Feb 2019 21:31 #10 by Cobus Puren (Jason T.)
Replied by Cobus Puren (Jason T.) on topic War Effort is Concerning, We Should Meet
If you senior lot can suffer the presence of a mere enlisted man, I wouldn't mind representing the grunt's-eye view before the Feast of Blades. The 2nd's got more than a few lessons learned from Trumrick if nothing else.

Cobus Puren
Captain of the Kormyrian Royal Navy
Commanding officer, KSS Saguaro and the 1st Raider Force

(OOG: Jason Trommer)
20 Feb 2019 14:54 #11 by Khala Stormbringer (Jymme)
Replied by Khala Stormbringer (Jymme) on topic War Effort is Concerning, We Should Meet
Lord Aleister,

While I may not be the most knowledgeable in the ways of war and what you need there, I can offer my services to help keep track as a scribe if you wish and still have need for it.

Sincerely,
Min

Main Character: Khala Stormbringer
Alt: Keladry Aybara

OOG: JymmeAnne Walton
27 Feb 2019 13:47 - 27 Feb 2019 13:49 #12 by Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist)
Replied by Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist) on topic War Effort is Concerning, We Should Meet
(( OOG: Not Arradir! ))

Hello Heroes of Travance,

It is good to see that so many are expressing an interest in having such a meeting. Lord General Magnus Zero of Kormyre, serving Protectorate of the Unified Faction of Corvencia, held a meeting several months ago that proved quite useful in preparing for first offensive actions against the pissant and all-around skamelar Duke Balliol.

As with many things, cooperation is key. Make sure that all voices have equal weight, from the war-hardened veterans to those who speak softly and carry with them a great kindness. Only by doing this, can we stand against these many foes and continue to establish our path towards victory over this cowardly pretender.

I shall ensure that I am in attendance from ... how do you Travancians say it ... ah yes, 3 Bells till 5 Bells in the afternoon on the Day of the Baronial Feast. This will allow me to answer any inquires you may have, offer educational/theoretical guidance when requested, and estimate resources required should you formulate a unique plan. As per the Count's charge, you all are the strategists that will bring all of Kormyre back into the fold; not I, my scribes, or any such-like noble. Only you Heroes whom the Kingdom has entrusted with its safety time and time again over the past two decades shall climb this metaphorical mountain ... just let's not climb the Volcano of Honor's Peak on this specific occasion.

((OOG: In the margins of this note, there is a small cartoon of Hystern sumitting on a simplified drawing of a volcano with a large red 'X' across the full drawing.))

In addition to my attendance, I will endeavor to have some of my scribes have small copies of the War Map present so that we do not crowd the table during the meeting.

Given Master Mantel Warrane's suggestion on timing, I assume this is to take place near the Dragon Claw Inn. Perhaps a more definite location should be announced?

Forever in Service to Kormyre and Her People,

The Insightful, Knight of Pendarvin
OOG: Joe Glaser | Marshal
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 13:49 by Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
01 Mar 2019 12:54 #13 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic War Effort is Concerning, We Should Meet
Hystern,

I have edited my original posting with a location! Yes, I should hope such a meeting would be held in the Dragons' Claw. Thank you for seeking clarification.

I will not be able to attend the gathering. Rallying Cennius' battalion and the relief effort for the Western front are much too demanding at the moment.

Be Well and Fight Well.
--Mantel Warrane

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.624 seconds