Ballad Competition

22 Oct 2019 20:13 #1 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Ballad Competition was created by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
I've got a wee competition for all our bards and musically inclined. I'm putting up 50 gold for the best ballad on the lads who bled in Bastion. Not us, but the Poor Bloody Infantry-the common folk. I met many of those lads in Bastion, and their heroism deserves to be put in song. Others could sweeten the pot or volunteer to help in judging. Also, we need a time to hold this- would any of our nobles mind if participants performed before feast? discuss below, respectfully please.

-Father Donald MacFhionnlaigh

OOG note: If you're looking at similar songs to give you an idea of the timbre I'm looking for, think of Redgum's "I was only 19" or Warren Zevon's "Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner". They're on Youtube.

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
22 Oct 2019 22:22 #2 by Khala Stormbringer (Jymme)
Replied by Khala Stormbringer (Jymme) on topic Ballad Competition
Does it have to be Bastion specifically or can it be about the war in general? I have one I've been working on and looking for the perfect chance to perform.

Squire Keladry Aybara
Private of the Baronial Guard

Main Character: Khala Stormbringer
Alt: Keladry Aybara

OOG: JymmeAnne Walton
23 Oct 2019 09:09 #3 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic Ballad Competition
I will allow it, but I do believe that Bastion, with the large congregation of forces and its location may well be the tipping point in the final analysis after the historians get done with it.

-Father Donald MacFhionnlaigh

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
23 Oct 2019 12:05 #4 by Khala Stormbringer (Jymme)
Replied by Khala Stormbringer (Jymme) on topic Ballad Competition
Don't get me wrong. I do agree that Bastion will probably be the tipping point. However this battle is going to be long and will most likely have many opportunities for heroic feats. It's hard to write ballads for a battle that hasn't truly been fought yet. Opening it up to just being the war in general gives more for people to pull off of.

Squire Keladry Aybara
Private of the Baronial Guard

Main Character: Khala Stormbringer
Alt: Keladry Aybara

OOG: JymmeAnne Walton
23 Oct 2019 13:48 #5 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic Ballad Competition
Squire Aybara,

I understand your points, and they are good ones. However, this kind of a fight is a slog, and will suck away morale unless we do something now. All wars are a competitions of will. I want us to have something to restore that will back. those laddies and lassies fought hard to get to this point. I know all too well- I was there. Let us give them back some of their fighting spirit so they can turn the tide.

-Father MacFhionnlaigh

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashley-Lynn Chrzaszcz (RavynAeronwen)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds