Letter from Count Everest

• Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
17 Jan 2020 17:15 - 17 Jan 2020 17:24 #1 by Gallion (Gallion)
Letter from Count Everest was created by Gallion (Gallion)
Heroes of Travance,

On Duke Balliol
As you are aware the Duke is now our captive and will be held in tribunal for clarifications of his crimes. I had declared that the Duke be taken alive for two reason, the first being that the families of those who were killed deserve answers and clarity that can likely only come from the Duke. The second is that I believe in a probability that his spirit is strong and could attempt to resurrect far away from us if killed.

Have no delusion, Duke Baliol is unequivocally guilty of high treason. Mind control is not an acceptable defense for the families of the dead, though I suspect that mind control plays a smaller part in this civil war then assumed. I will allow a small handful of heroes to step forward and attempt to advocate not for his release, but for his story to be understood in its entirety before his ultimate punishment of obliteration is administered by my hand. This tribunal will be open for public viewing but none will be allowed to interject accept those who are pre-planned to do so. It will take place underground in caverns where we have moved Cell Zero. The mystical cell as well as the depth underground help to keep the Duke from escaping. Even though I am told by our wardens that his innate power seems to be permanently deteriorating, we are still actively suppressing his powers to prevent escape. To that end we are also researching ways to remove the Esper from his body and are making good progress to those ends.

On the War
Despite surrendering to us on the battlefield, the Duke refuses to write an official document denouncing the existence of the treasonous empire. He also refuses to sign a denouncement of himself being the ruler of the stolen territories. Because of this we are not able to convince the Dukes remaining armies to stand down, instead they seem incensed and emboldened by the Dukes imprisonment and have fortified their boarders with a great deal of extra forces we did not know existed. We are currently showing restraint and are hoping that we can finish this without further bloodshed by convincing the Duke to order the whole of his forces to surrender. Currently a warlord by the name of Alexander Garabrandt appears to be leading the actions of all enemy forces.

On Intelligence Gathered
When you all went to the Dukes encampment to defeat and capture him, several of you swiped armfuls of books and documents found in his war tents prior to escaping back to Travance. Many of you who are scholars have been pouring over this intelligence and I will share publicly the findings so far below.

Near the beginning of the war we discovered that Duke Balliol had ordered the destruction of the gates in all territories that he held under control. At first the assumption was that he was simply preventing spies from infiltrating his controlled territories to gather information on their movements. Soon later it was discovered that A gate was being built in Travances deep woods by New Gaaldron using pieces of destroyed gates for the purpose of creating a single gate strong enough to transport an invading army intent on crushing Travance. This attempt was thwarted but newly discovered intelligence indicates that this too was likely not the motivation behind the Dukes destructions of the gates.

- Gates of Passage Deep Lore

An ancient tome was uncovered written in an ancient gnomish language. This tome was on fire in a cast iron cauldron when the war tent was first seized, but the flames were extinguished and parts of the tome saved. The lore within the tome hints that the original gates of passage had the ability to reach extreme distances beyond the realm of thought and possibility. The gnomes recorded that some beings stepped through the portal from another place and whatever was said or discovered in that moment forced the gnomes to decide to weaken the reach of the gates. To do so they created more gates and the more gates they created all over the continent of palamydia the weaker they all got. They then dismantled and buried the main base of the original, deep in the bowels of a volcano named as Mount Dour-Morgath. They likewise scattered the remaining parts of it and their research notes in underground tombs and caverns, all close to their races research facility known as “Vaezleblin”.

Further intelligence indicated that the Duke in fact did not destroy the Gates in Althawine, but instead has been having their presence magically suppressed. This leads us to believe that the Duke was in some fashion pursuing to strengthen the power and reach of his Gate for reasons yet unknown.

Our task right now is to look further into this gnomish tome and the landmarks named within so that we could better understand these mysterious devices that have existed in the Kingdom and on this continent for as long as we can remember.

By my will proclaimed,
Count Sebastian Everest of Winterdark, Warden of Kormyre

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
Last edit: 17 Jan 2020 17:24 by Gallion (Gallion).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rudolf (Rudolf), Eden Heimdell (amalthea), Ephrem (bamore62)
  • Annora
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • SKRAW!
  • Thank Yous: 316
18 Jan 2020 21:22 #2 by Annora (Karen)
Replied by Annora (Karen) on topic Letter from Count Everest
Your Grace,

How will those permitted to speak at the trial be determined? May one apply to address the public?

Thank you,

[hr]
OOG: Karen Y
Card Raptor
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ephrem (bamore62)
  • Ephrem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Lux et lex, fiat iustitia.
  • Thank Yous: 364
19 Jan 2020 14:49 #3 by Ephrem (bamore62)
Replied by Ephrem (bamore62) on topic Letter from Count Everest
To His Grace Sebastian Everest, Count of Winterdark,
I too would like to know how one is chosen to speak at the tribunal.
I have sent a missive asking details. The Messenger should be arriving shortly.
Yours in the Light,

Father Ephrem
Primus of the Church of Light in Travance
the Heart of Valos

OOG: Bryan Amore
20 Jan 2020 00:02 #4 by O. Nesterin (kuemanner)
Replied by O. Nesterin (kuemanner) on topic Letter from Count Everest
Pardon my ignorance your Grace, but why does it matter if anyone speaks on his behalf if you have already determined he is to be obliterated. Seems kind of like a waste of time to me.

Ser Oacenth Nesterin
Knight Advisor of Alisandria
Dragoon of House Melebrine

OOG: Nick Culberson
Player Rep
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swyft (agentswift), Seth (Kurteth)
  • Liz
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 173
20 Jan 2020 01:44 #5 by Liz (Liz)
Replied by Liz (Liz) on topic Letter from Count Everest
Your Grace,

I would also like to know when and where this will take place and what criteria you would like for participants.

Thank you,

Mae Fang

Allyce
Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard

Mae Fang Zhang
Healer of Khitan
"Go with honor and your ancestors shall guide you."

Allyce
Lt. of the Baronial Guard
"Well... who likes a dull life? There's work to do."

OOG: Liz Reese

Marshal
Land Staff
  • Naranbaatar Aiki
  • Will generally just drink tea and eat sashimi
  • Thank Yous: 158
20 Jan 2020 08:22 #6 by Naranbaatar Aiki (aikichi)
Replied by Naranbaatar Aiki (aikichi) on topic Letter from Count Everest
Your Grace,

As I will be in your company no doubt I would like to arrange permission to speak on a very daunting matter concerning all this. Whether it be in private or during this hearing.

Yours in service,

Naranbaatar Aiki
Squire to Count Sebastian Everest, Warden of Kormyre
Former Warlord Castellan to Corvencia
Legionnaire Commander, Kormyrian Army
"In service to the people"

OOG Name: Robert "Ira" Torres [MARSHAL]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Angeliana (Angeliana)
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
20 Jan 2020 09:44 #7 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Letter from Count Everest
The purpose of the tribunal is not to determine guilt or innocence. He has admitted to his crimes and has expressed no regret towards the death of the innocent in the war. Thousands of families require a measure of closure for assisting in their grief. There are two primary purposes to this hearing. First is to get as many answers out of him as is possible to act as a public record of his admittance prior to his death. The second is to act as witnesses to testify to the families of the deceased that justice for the death of their loved ones has been served.

No one will need to speak on his behalf, he is perfectly capable of speaking for himself. Some of you will be allowed to speak with him prior and convince him to do the right thing during the final moments of his life. Those who wish to do this may contact me personally for permission.

No one is required to be present unless they desire to be so. It will take place several hours prior to the feast itself and we will gather outside the town hall to travel to the catacombs.

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eden Heimdell (amalthea), Angeliana (Angeliana), Ephrem (bamore62)
  • Ephrem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Lux et lex, fiat iustitia.
  • Thank Yous: 364
23 Jan 2020 09:25 #8 by Ephrem (bamore62)
Replied by Ephrem (bamore62) on topic Letter from Count Everest
Your Grace,
I would request to speak with the Duke Balliol. Perhaps there is still hope for his repentance before the final retributive justice is delivered. If he does produce information in a final spiritual confession, I would not be able to divulge it. However in doing so he may be convinced to do the right and just thing before his end on Arawyn.

Yours in the Light,

Father Ephrem
Primus of the Church of Light in Travance
the Heart of Valos

OOG: Bryan Amore
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.565 seconds